• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Looking for a PRC-104

Iron7

I'm trying to help out a good friend of mine who wants a PRC-104 set. My friend holds a current FCC HAM license and has a lot of experience with electronics. the main component we're looking for is the RT-1209 in any condition. We understand that they are in no way cheap to buy. Thanks for any replies or leads.

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have one, and no I'm not selling. They are not cheap. PRC-104s are where you find them, so when they pop up you best be prepared to pay then and quickly.

They pop up on eBay once in a while, I'm sure you are looking there. Other than that, I recommend the following dealer, Mike Murphy gets them in stock frequently. His prices are high, though:

HOME PAGE FOR MURPHYS SURPLUS

Iron7

You're absolutely correct on all accounts there maddawg! Thankfully, I have a complete 104(A) but I'm feeling things out to help my bud find one, he can horse trade for some sweet gear. In no way am I suggesting that you trade with me, I won't try to separate that gem from you. Thanks for the link to Murphys', I visited his shop one time when I was stationed in California, what an AMAZING place he has! Thanks again.

ONTOS66

Not a lot of them around since the military do not use as much hf gear as tactical vhf so prices tend to be higher.

I have a PRC-104 and have just completed assembling the components for a GRC-213A.

Mike Murphy currently has both the 104 and 104a available - and not cheap. But good gear. He also has the URC-113 if you are thinking of a vehicle installation. He also has some of the NVIS bases for ground mounting the NVIS antenna.

I think I have an extra of the "umbrella stand" type amidst all the green stuff in the basement.

On the other hand I saw a GRC-213 with the rt-1209 at a military show last weekend for about $1400 and I understand that someone got him down from that price at the end of the show. If I'd had the cash .... oh well. :roll:

As usual, the great deal ... was just sold. :-D

I will be uploading some of the manuals for these radios in the next week or so.

Iron7

Ontos,
Thanks much for the imput! I've been in contact with Mike Murphy about the amplifier unit, was a bit out of my price range at $800! Since then I found an amplifier (AM-6874) and the NVIS antenna set. I can advise folks to be gentle when handling the main NVIS antenna end section with all the leads/guy lines, the little hooks that hold the lines when stored aren't secured well to the pole. Looks like they used electrode welding in the manufacturing process and they come off fairly easy. I had one come off while removing it from the canvas case, I used a blind rivet to re-fasten it to the pole, all good to go now!
I am able to assist folks if they're looking for some PRC-104 components, prices will be nice.

Iron7

Folks, the quest is over for the PRC-104's, I have a couple sets on hand now so we're good to go. If anyone's looking for some specialt part or component for the 104, please let me know. Thanks again.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks