• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Looking for a Ramcharger

Elwenil

Ok, the post about looking for a nice M1009 sort of prompted me to do this. If it's not in the right place or is out of line for some reason. It is MV related, read below.

Here's my plan, I want an Dodge Ramcharger version of an M1009 with a few options. So what I am looking for is a decent 1981-1993 Ramcharger with minimal rust. I would prefer a 4 speed if possible and a console would be nice. It can have a blown engine, trans, transfer case or even axles. I have my own 360, NP435, NP205, D60, D60 drivetrain from a W250 to swap in so all I really want is a body and frame with all the wiring and accessories. I intend to keep the creature comforts but eventually swap all the B.O. lights and MV antennas on to complete the look as if Dodge was still supplying the CUCVs in the 80s and early 90s. It will either get painted 383 green or the full 3 color camo treatment.

So how about it guys, anyone know of a decent Ramcharger for sale? I am interested in something as far east as possible since fuel costs would quickly double the cost of the original vehicle in transporting it. If it's far away, it would have to be a smoking deal. I'd like to give out a finder's fee, but I'm poor from a payment on a Jeep, which is why I want to build something that's paid for, lol. BTW, anyone want a '06 6 speed Jeep Liberty Renegade? :lol:

Elwenil

Recovry4x4 said:
Don't forget to shop for a Plymouth Dustbuster, they get overlooked all the time.
The Trailduster? I would but they were not available in the years I am looking for. I have about 3 Traildusters near me locally in various stages of decay, but in the years they were made the hard tops were removable and I want one with a full solid top.

CCATLETT1984 said:
check autotrader, or a local 4x4 forum
Believe me, I'm looking at them but I haven't been able to find what I'm looking for and the ones on Ebay are apparently lined with gold somewhere. So I figured I'd widen my search, especially with so many Mopar/M880 fans on here.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Oh, sorry! I didn't know about that. You want the ones with the rear glass that wraps into the top right?

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Plan on doing a stick conversion, in all my years of playing with Mopars, I have seen one stick Ramcharger, the rest all being girlymatics.

Elwenil

Kenny, yeah the 81-93 models have the curved top to the rear glass. I would take a 70s model, but they have more rust issues and I guess I'd like an 80s model because of the old '84 RC I had before. If I could get real lucky, I'd find a '91-'93 model with the bulge grille and if I were really lucky it would have a Magnum 360, lol. The ultimate would be a '93 Magnum 360, 4 or 5 speed, Canyon Sport.

98hd, I'm on RCC pretty often but it's not the best place to find a decent deal. I have found a few on their but nothing worth traveling to get yet.

Clinto, so far I've seen about 30 or 40 4 speed Ramchargers of various years, but I have always sought them out or come in contact with them from working at the dealership. I have one semi-nice but rusty one here local but the guy won't sell it now. I went and talked to him a bit today to try and get him to budge, but no luck, he gave it to his son. He did say his son was lazy and probably wouldn't do anything with it, but he had a greedy gleam in his eye when I told him I wanted it. If it does come up for sale, it will probably be more then what it is worth. If I do have to go with an auto, I will have everything to do the conversion since the '81 W250 Sno-Commander I am stealing the drivetrain from is a 4 speed. Should be pretty straight forward.

Thanks for the suggestions guys.

Elwenil

Yup, been watching Craiglist too, lol. Trust me, I'm trying all the normal routes to find one but haven't found what I am looking for yet so I figured I'd toss a few lines in the pond and see what I could catch. I guess I should have specified that I wanted a 4WD Ramcharger also. The one's in the DC Craigslist are all 2WD. :mrgreen:

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There is a guy named Soni Honneger (sp?) who builds mil-spec offroad vehicles. He built up a Ramcharger in the late 1980s, it was featured in Four Wheeler magazine TWICE (I have the issued at home) in the early 1990s, in two different forms. It was my dream truck for many years. Ironically, it was on eBay last year, sans 426 Hemi, which was pulled for another project. I bid on it, hopeing to own my dream truck, but alas, it went for quite a bit more than I could've afforded. Still nice to see it survived over the years. Here's a pic of what you can do to a 1976 Ramcharger if you put your mind to it:

Attachments

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Soni had that at the 4 Wheel Jambo in Indy back around 1986 or so. Wicked truck. Isn't Soni the one responsible for the Scorpion family of tube frame rock buggies?

Elwenil

Nah, frame ends are different and 3 crossmembers have to be changed. The worst is the engine crossmember. I'd rather not go through all of that, plus having to modify the floorpan if I can help it.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks