• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Looking for a turbo for my M1009

wrex

So I'd like a little more pickup from my m1009.

I found the link from someone asking advice: http://www.steelsoldiers.com/cucv/25545-turbo-what-do-i-need.html and great info there.

My question is if anyone here has a line on a setup that I could purchase? Even Aftermarket/new I would consider, as long as it's "proper".

Or, perhaps I should change out the gears first and see where that get's me? Lol. Don't flame the n00b, I just want to do what makes the most sense. Let me know your thoughts.

It drives great and does well, except when going uphill sometimes, it really doesn't want to go too fast, and I live in San Francisco. Not exactly flat, around here, lol.

Appreciate the help!

epitts

What you mite look at first, are your pump and injectors run at 100% and your fuel lines. Then what is most important to Power or MPG's. I know with my dodge when increasing the power improved the MPG's. Diesels are just big air pumps, more air and fuel more power. But you need to get the air out also. It is a never ending cycle. You could try going to lower gears also you can turn the pump up also. YMMV

wrex

What you mite look at first, are your pump and injectors run at 100% and your fuel lines. Then what is most important to Power or MPG's. I know with my dodge when increasing the power improved the MPG's. Diesels are just big air pumps, more air and fuel more power. But you need to get the air out also. It is a never ending cycle. You could try going to lower gears also you can turn the pump up also. YMMV
Hmm. Ok. I'll have to look into how to go about all of that. Makes sense, just not sure how to check/measure them for their performance to ensure 100%. Thanks for the tip!

southdave

What I did with turbo set up, besides bolting up a 6.5 turbo, I add an engine oil cooler ( in series with the radateior), and increased the the line size to 1/2. added a boost gauge and pryo. I also have the kit for high cap. water pump, it not installed yet. I wanted to see how it would run around the hills here, mine is on m1009 so my load will be light and may not need the extra cap..

bevanet

I have a non-military Blazer that I've had since 1990. It came with a 6.2 and I bought a new Banks brand turbo for it. Before I could get it installed the engine died. I found someone to put a 6.5 in and install the banks turbo. It has a lot of power. I went through a couple trannys since. If I'm pulling a boat up the long hills around here in the summer, It wants to over heat. The pyro, water temp, tranny temp are all about to the max under those conditions. I think my pump is turned up to high though since it puts out some black smoke! If you found an old banks system, it would probably bolt up pretty well. It comes with a new left exhaust manifold and a cross over pipe so that all the exhaust goes through the turbo on the right side. It also has a new intake system and airfilter. Good luck..

wrex

I have a non-military Blazer that I've had since 1990. It came with a 6.2 and I bought a new Banks brand turbo for it. Before I could get it installed the engine died. I found someone to put a 6.5 in and install the banks turbo. It has a lot of power. I went through a couple trannys since. If I'm pulling a boat up the long hills around here in the summer, It wants to over heat. The pyro, water temp, tranny temp are all about to the max under those conditions. I think my pump is turned up to high though since it puts out some black smoke! If you found an old banks system, it would probably bolt up pretty well. It comes with a new left exhaust manifold and a cross over pipe so that all the exhaust goes through the turbo on the right side. It also has a new intake system and airfilter. Good luck..
Awesome. I'll look around for more info on that. Thanks!

I should mention that I'm def. planning on adding a Transmission cooler, as well.

bevanet

Awesome. I'll look around for more info on that. Thanks!

I should mention that I'm def. planning on adding a Transmission cooler, as well.
I believe I have a tranny cooler on it too. (It is in storage now or I would look) If you aren't towing you should be fine, but it you are going to tow, get the largest cooler you can find! You will also want a tranny temp gauge too.

Another interesting problem I had once: The truck would start shaking real hard once in a while. The shaking seemed to be related to the engine speed. I assumed the worst of course - like a bad injector pump that was not sending fuel to the cylinders at the right time or something like that. I took it to my diesel guy and it took him a couple hours to figure it out. The bolt that holds the front pulley/balancer had loosened and the balancer would rotate to a different position which made the truck shake like heck. He then charged me for diagnosis and to lock tight a new bolt in to the tune of $560. If yours ever shakes like that check that bolt!

cmroles

What I did with turbo set up, besides bolting up a 6.5 turbo
Did you swap the whole 6.5TD engine, or were you able to get the turbo to fit the 6.2L engine? I'm interested in eventually doing a turbo install, but don't really want to pull 6.2 out if its not necessary.

southdave

I bolted type F manifolds & intake with a GM4 turbo to a 93 6.2 diesel out of a cut away van ( van thing is important only because of the short injector and the year of the motor imporant because it is more less 6.5 head and the angle of the injector and manifolds helps with the swap)... there are measure to overcome these issues, if you do a search there are many threads that cover this, for instance TEF has a killer pictorial of the straight out install..
hope this makes sence,..

SmokeyDod

The Banks Turbo makes a world of difference in the 6.2. I have two setup on two M1028 me & my son drives and it makes a positive difference like day & night ESPECIALLY when you are pulling a trailer with a load. I am thing about putting the other "Banks" I have on the M1009 that I drive.
For instance sometimes I pull a 20ft trailer hauling a Kubota tractor that has a front loader and a Woods D80 bush-hog. Total wgt. of trailer & tractor is est 12-15,000#. There is one specific hill I go up that's about 3/4 mile long 10% grade. BEFORE BANKS, if I hit bottom of hill at say 60mph, engine would drop to 2nd gear at less than half way up and drop down to 25mph by the time I reached top of hill. AFTER BANKs, hit bottom doing 60 mph, it don't drop down and I come over top at same 60mph. So I feel they are well worth the investment. However I would search for used ones, as new ones cost so much.
Smokey

wrex

The Banks Turbo makes a world of difference in the 6.2. I have two setup on two M1028 me & my son drives and it makes a positive difference like day & night ESPECIALLY when you are pulling a trailer with a load. I am thing about putting the other "Banks" I have on the M1009 that I drive.
For instance sometimes I pull a 20ft trailer hauling a Kubota tractor that has a front loader and a Woods D80 bush-hog. Total wgt. of trailer & tractor is est 12-15,000#. There is one specific hill I go up that's about 3/4 mile long 10% grade. BEFORE BANKS, if I hit bottom of hill at say 60mph, engine would drop to 2nd gear at less than half way up and drop down to 25mph by the time I reached top of hill. AFTER BANKs, hit bottom doing 60 mph, it don't drop down and I come over top at same 60mph. So I feel they are well worth the investment. However I would search for used ones, as new ones cost so much.
Smokey
Thanks. I think this is the kit I need (If I end up buying new):
Banks Power | 82-93 Chevy/GMC - 6.2L>>Sidewinder® Turbo System

Correct?

Mine has same issue. If I start up a fairly steep hill under say 55, it dogs out to around 30 t0 35 MPH. People behind me get annoyed, rofl.

wrex

Better check, there was a thread on here about Banks was dropping that kit due to lack of sales. YMMV
Yeah I saw that thread and looked on their website today and their still listing it for sale. I have an email out to them asking about it. I'll let you guys know what they say, thanks!

wrex

Better check, there was a thread on here about Banks was dropping that kit due to lack of sales. YMMV
Yeah I saw that thread and looked on their website today and their still listing it for sale. I have an email out to them asking about it. I'll let you guys know what they say, thanks!
Yes, I did quote myself. Lol.

Ok, I talked to Albert at Bankspower and they still make the kit. They need a week out to put it together. It costs about $2560. If you live in California, add a few hundred $ tax to that :-( I'm just glad I still have friends in Missouri that I visit, lol, so I'll be ordering it here in about a month, before my next visit to Kansas City.

BTW: They're phone number is 800-601-8072 and the part number (kit) you want is 25328.

Last edited:

2deuce

Banks has these "BIG" sales usually around a holiday. I don't know how good they really are, but if Iwas going to make a big purchase from them it would probably help if it was during one of their sales. The other way to get a banks system is buy a wrecked truck with the system. Keep an eye on CL. They do come up.

wrex

Banks has these "BIG" sales usually around a holiday. I don't know how good they really are, but if Iwas going to make a big purchase from them it would probably help if it was during one of their sales. The other way to get a banks system is buy a wrecked truck with the system. Keep an eye on CL. They do come up.
Yeah, I've been looking through CL and FleeBay but nothing yet and I'm too impatient to wait for a major Holiday, lol but I'll keep looking until I'm ready to order, for sure.

dstang97

Make sure if you do buy a new kit, you buy it from banks. my kit did not fit perfect and they fixed it right away. If i did not buy from them they do not want to know a thing. I really like my kit. I also put on 6.5 injectors.

wrex

Make sure if you do buy a new kit, you buy it from banks. my kit did not fit perfect and they fixed it right away. If i did not buy from them they do not want to know a thing. I really like my kit. I also put on 6.5 injectors.
Roger.

What does putting the 6.5 injectors do for it?