• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Looking for a Wrecker

jfnemt1ff1

Ok here goes I am looking for a new project and was looking into getting a 5 ton,What do you guys think about the diffrent modles.I even know were a 21/2 ton wrecker is. So post up and let the fun begain.
John

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
M816 is probably the best, but the older M543 and M62s are no slouch either. There is a nice one for sale through Eastern Equipment in PA, the truck is located in NY, has some options that are nice, for $11,000.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Considering your penchant for restorations and the need to keep busy, I might opt for the deuce wrecker. Far and away a more time involved project, especially if you convert it to multifuel. Have you seen this deuce wrecker? Maybe you could get lucky and have found the ultra rare M60. Other than that, wreckerman knows where there is a Mack powered M62 in AL which in my opinion would be the ultimate military wrecker.

area52

5 ton - M246(gas, multi or Mack powered) longer reach, fifth wheel plate - I like this one!!
M62 not as long reach no fifth wheel plate( did these has a winch on the back?)
M543 mostly mullit fuel powered yes? with front and rear winches and crane
M816 just like the 543 with a cummins engine
M819 like the 246 with a cummins engine
then you have the 900 series which I don't have a clue about

2 1/2 ton series - M108 and M60 - ask Kenny about the M108.

thats all I know off of the top of my head.

I love wreckers!!!!!

67Beast

Hey John, I know were an older gasser 5 ton wrecker is for sale here in Michigan. Last I heard he wanted $4500 for it. It is need of some basic resto work, but was a very solid platform to start from. We used it when I bought my deuce bed from him to load it on my trailer. seamed to run OK. Here is a pic of it.

Attachments

timntrucks

Steel Soldiers Supporter
M816 in baton rouge louisiana, 6000.00 runs but crane needs some work, it wont rotate. just stuck he says, no pics but looks good Tim

jfnemt1ff1

I have been looking at that truck,M819 Does anyone know if it has a rear wintch and does the boom turn 360 deg.I have never seen one up close good truck or not.
John

M1075

jfnemt1ff1 said:
I have been looking at that truck,M819 Does anyone know if it has a rear wintch and does the boom turn 360 deg.I have never seen one up close good truck or not.
John
No rear winch on the M819. It has the 5th wheel plate instead. Unless of course you consider the crane hoist a winch. :?

Full rotation available on the boom. See pics posted recently of fellow member installing front winch using the crane to lift it over the cab.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Sorry to say yours is too nice. I would be afraid to drive it and I don't have anywhere in doors to store it. I have everything that I would ever need, but would love a 246/819. :mrgreen:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks