• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

looking for an engine-to-trans case rod

kapnklug

My 86 M1009 arrived missing the torque rod that goes from the lower pass. bellhousing bolt, to the two big bolts on the pass side of the transfer case. I've got one from a civilian gasser that I've been trying to make work, but it's no walk in the park. Anybody wanna sell me one that fits?

1tonfun

i have had an m1008 and m1028, neither have had it. i used one off of a 700r4 i believe and it bolted it right up.

Last edited:

1tonfun

looks like a piece of steel rod with a 90 @ one end with a hole (to bolt to the trans) and the other end is flattend and has two large holes to bolt to t-case (passenger side of all the 208s have the threaded holes). i believe it helps t-case flex. helps strengthen the driveline.

Last edited:

kapnklug

Thought about going to the local pick-apart, but it would have to be for the 6.2/TH400/NP208 drivetrain to be the right length and angle. That's the problem I'm having with the one from a different truck: I have to cut, bend both ends and add 3". Was hoping someone might have one for $20 or something!
Civi pickups have that rod, plus two torque rods running from plates under the motor mounts, to the tapped holes on the torque converter cover. Mine was missing these too; I plan to make some.
I once broke a transmission case in a blazer (jumping it) that had all these rods intact, so I'm sure making some for the new M1009!

acmunro

Rod

i have had an m1008 and m1028, neither have had it. i used one off of a 700r4 i believe and it bolted it right up.
The rod from an early to mid 80's 700r4/NP208 truck should work - there is a bit of leeway at the transfercase end.

1tonfun - that's a pretty neat truck in your avatar. Is it a shortbed ?

1tonfun

The rod from an early to mid 80's 700r4/NP208 truck should work - there is a bit of leeway at the transfercase end.

1tonfun - that's a pretty neat truck in your avatar. Is it a shortbed ?
thanks, yes its a shortbed. it was originally a longbed dually

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The overall idea of this rod is that it supports the weight of the transfer case to keep weight off the end of the tranny. Unsupported, the weight CAN snap the tailshaft right off the transmission. Ask me HOW I know this.

When I got my tranny rebuilt, my guy took what looks like about 1.25" rod and did just what you said. Flattened one end and drilled two holes (these allow it to be attached to the transfer case) and a 90 degree bend with one hole drilled in it (allowing it to be attached THROUGH the bellhousing into the block.

SO, that's what it does. I have some pix, but will have to down load them later, as my laptop doesn't have a card reader (older laptop). But it basically shows what I just described.

Steel rod, about the diameter of your thumb, the thick part, that goes from the bellhousing to the transfer case. In MY truck, it's the NP205, which is a much heavier transfer case. My M1009 does NOT have this brace.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks