• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Looking for assistance in Raleigh, NC

jworth94

Hey Folks,

I'm a new owner of a m1008 located in the Raleigh area (EUC just cleared 2 days ago.)

I'm going to be there next week on/about Thursday 7/22 or Friday 7/23. I'm about 4 hours away in Virginia.

I need some assistance from someone with a little more knowledge than me with these trucks. I'd like to actually start the truck and get it running so I can at least drive it to a service station.

The vehicle is located at a fully accessable location. No pass or anything else is needed to get to the truck.

I'll have have all the parts I think I need to get this gem going.

Thanks,

Jon

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Try contacting Bulldogmack13, he is in that area and has connections.

stump

I work in Butner if thats where its located. I alos worked at the military shop in Butner so I know where it is and can look at the truck for you before you make that drive. Driving it may be a option but dont count on it. Most of the time they have missing parts starters alternators and bent drive shafts using a tow bar is the way I bring them home and makes the recovery alot easier. Bring two good batteries two stsrter bolts metric a can of stsrter fluid and a portable ari compressor and tools. I will try to help out if you want.

jworth94

Jay, pm'd you.

Stump,

It's actually located just south of Raleigh in Garner.

I previewed it and I think it's got the potential to get up and go, but I'm a novice so...

The drive shaft is straight and has a starter and all other equipment I believe. It has a jumper on the glow plug relay. I bought a glow plug card off ebay. I've got two new (refurbed) batteries.

Why the 2 new starter bolts?

DeuceNewb

o yikes. Which one did you end up with? Did you attempt to start it or just look i over? I previewed everything there in garner and it all seemed like junk to me. I came with jumpers, batteries, even starter fluid, and nothing would start.

The 1008 with troop seats had a horrible clunking/banging noise when the motor was turning over, and it would practically make the whole truck shake. It almost sounded like a broken connecting rod or piston. the other m1008 had a missing window and it appeared as if animals had been living inside. they both had considerable rust, dry rotted tires, and the 1009 blazer was super rusty with street signs for floorpans.

CGarbee

I'm between Raleigh and Garner...Just saw this thread... If you need to towbar it offsite (I think I know which site it is located at...), send me a PM...

I also know some folks in the area who are familliar with these (like the Sargent down the hall...) although I confess to not knowing much about them personally... :)

jworth94

DeuceNewb,

...I previewed everything there in garner and it all seemed like junk to me. I came with jumpers, batteries, even starter fluid, and nothing would start.

...had a horrible clunking/banging noise when the motor was turning over, and it would practically make the whole truck shake. It almost sounded like a broken connecting rod or piston.

You should really keep your hands off these vehicles. If no one has ever told you before, let me be the first. You don't use starting fluid (ether) on diesel engines. It's stated clearly in the operation manual and anyone that's been around these things all that long, knows this. The reason it was bucking is because you used starting fluid. You're going to ruin an engine, if you haven't already.

I recovered the truck, put new batteries in it and a new (used) gp controller card and it fired up on the 1st try... Runs great. No bucking, no nothing.

jworth94

Thanks for all the offers for assistance in Raleigh.

I recovered the truck yesterday! As you can see from my post above, I put 2 new batteries and a new (used) gp controller card in it and it fired right up on the 1st try. Amazing. These things are great.

I spent half a day going through most of the systems and everything is in order. I ran her probably 5 miles or so up and down the road, checked the 4 wheel high and low and it looks as though I got a runner. Very smooth engine and relatively quiet. The engine was rebuilt in 1987 and I'm not sure if that's got something to do with it or not...

New tires are in order, but I was planning on that anyway.

Jon

CGarbee

Good to hear that things went smoothly and that you've got her. I was over at Bragg yesterday picking up stuff, else I would have been happy to help you wrench (although it sounds like you had everything well in hand).

Congratulations.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, let me be the second to congratulate you on your successful recovery and the first one to say .....nopics

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks