• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

looking for behind the bumper winch setup on cucv

alanb

Getting ready to put on a winch on my cucv. There was a thread where someone
had put on a winch behind the front bumper and set below the motor.
Looked for over an hour trying to find the post.
Can anyone point me in the right direction?
Thanks

Drock

Thanks
This is the cleanest install I've seen thus far...http://cornbit.com/media.php?id=1575497567336635350_1603454089 Also check out his Instagram page to see this whole build (@jony_bakes

Ilikemtb999

I have mine in my bumper. It’s not hard. I used a winch plate from harbor freight and it’s mounted up side down to the the underside of the top of the frame rails. There are two holes that line up and you’ll have to drill 2 more. You’ll have to trim down the sides of the winch plate a bit. I then cut out where the plate mounts to fit the fairlead. I also extended the wires for the winch and mounted the control box under the hood on the inner fender. Here are some pics.

Last edited:

Ilikemtb999

Thanks
If you have any specific questions feel free to ask. I can attempt to take some pics but it’s all back together now. The pics I posted are the only ones I have from when I did it.

ssdvc

Ilikemtb999, I like your install, nice and clean. How much ground clearance did you loose, if any? It looks like the winch hangs down a bit below the bumper.

Ilikemtb999

Ilikemtb999, I like your install, nice and clean. How much ground clearance did you loose, if any? It looks like the winch hangs down a bit below the bumper.
Maybe 2-2.5”? I did have thoughts of replacing the brace with the name on it with another like the rear. Hasn’t been an issue yet and I’ve been up and over a few ledges on trail. It may be able to be mounted right side up but not sure about core support clearance. The top of the bumper would for sure need to be cut.

Drock

I suppose you could mount it with the bottom facing the rear of the truck? That would tuck the lever up out of harms way. You'd just have to reach a little further up under the truck to operate it. Or you could make your own skid plate that you could reach around the side of?

Ilikemtb999

I suppose you could mount it with the bottom facing the rear of the truck? That would tuck the lever up out of harms way. You'd just have to reach a little further up under the truck to operate it. Or you could make your own skid plate that you could reach around the side of?

The “top” braces are interchangeable so I could just order another “rear” one. The lever comes off and I think it’s just an Allen key in there. Really I’m not too worried. It’s all rocks here with little mud and I have yet to hit anything. I hit my rear diff mostly.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks