• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Looking for CUCV for sale in Reno, NV

PUNCHYOURFACE

Looking to buy a CUCV in the Reno/Sparks area. Any model besides the M1010 would be perfect. I've seen a few around town and there's an M1028 at a place in Dayton called Carson Plains Surplus, does anyone have buying experience with them? I've done some basic research but is there anything in specific I should look for when buying one?

Here are pictures of that M1028
20160815_080525.jpg20160815_080516.jpg20160815_080506.jpg20160815_080535.jpg20160815_080610.jpg20160815_080552.jpg

Last edited:

truck1

Welcome aboard to this addictive hobby. As a M1028 owner , restorer, and enthusiast, the best advice I can give you is to read all you can on this site using the search function. That's what I did and it is the best way to learn from people's experience . You'll hear the good bad and the ugly regarding these rigs. I hope you like to fix things and are patient, because you'll need both eventually. Read up and good luck.[thumbzup]

truck1

Feel free to search my posts and threads . There are posts regarding rear disc brake conversion, front winch mount , tires, lift, radios, overdrive ( Gear Vendor ) and much more. They are not fast especially up hill, but get good mileage with the 6.2 and work great off-road . Mine is very reliable.

PUNCHYOURFACE

The disc brake conversion would probably happen once I get one, and I'd heard about them being slow so I've considered a turbo, but I don't know if that has any negative side effects in other areas.

Last edited:

2deuce

CUCV's are not built the same. The Blazers have a different drivetrain from the pickups. The pickups are geared low and a turbo would help with heavy loads, but not do anything to increase your top speed. The huge drum brakes work well for the truck as designed. Disc brakes are better with water, mud,etc but how do you plan to use your truck? They are not high on my list. Check out craigslist, you should see many examples within 1000 miles of Reno.

PUNCHYOURFACE

CUCV's are not built the same. The Blazers have a different drivetrain from the pickups. The pickups are geared low and a turbo would help with heavy loads, but not do anything to increase your top speed. The huge drum brakes work well for the truck as designed. Disc brakes are better with water, mud,etc but how do you plan to use your truck? They are not high on my list. Check out craigslist, you should see many examples within 1000 miles of Reno.
I plan on using the CUCV as a daily driver, and I'm aware of the differences between the blazer and the pick ups. I've seen trucks in varying conditions come and go, generally a days drive away so locally is preferred. It can snow up to several feet on the valley floor and I may even be going up to Tahoe or Truckee in the winter so disk brakes would help, but are not necessary.