• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Looking for CUCV

Danible

I'LL bite, I got one off fire house a couple weeks ago need work, but runs.. I don't need two of them

What do you mean by "work"? Got any pictures?

Yes it is very addictive. Ex-Army. I have a couple of buddies that want to get one also. Went to our first GL Preview today. Very informative.

Thanks for help fellas.

Tanner

Welcome!

1) Buy a TM for CUCV's, and a good tool box full of tools... make friends with GM dealership or parts house counter person... you'll get to know them on a friendly first-name basis. Same with AAA, or the tow-service of your choice. (Remember these folks by giving them a gift on major holidays...)

2) Immerse yourself in reading here: http://www.steelsoldiers.com/cucv/20600-faq-thread-cucvs.html - it's required reading for wannabe or actual CUCV owners. You'll soon become proficient in such topics of dinner-table conversation as:

- "Why won't the %^&$(# glow plugs glow?"
- "Why starter brackets are designed to be used in the first place"
- "Cracked Blocks aren't all they're cracked up to be"
- "WTH is a glow timer controller??"
- "Honey, I managed to squeak her up to 55MPH today - down a hill, with a tailwind & the Moon in alignment with Jupiter..."
- and the ever popular > "WHAT was I thinking when I bought this truck??!"

3) Make CUCV friends here on the forum; at least you'll have someone else who knows & understands your pain... 'cause your non-OD friends won't understand.

4) Wear protection - OD fever can be contagious! And with CUCV's, you'll often feel that you've gotten screwed but not kissed.

Enjoy!

'Tanner'

14a46

i am also looking for one, i was bidding on 2 in CA but got outbid and the wife didnt like the pictures:-( so i backed out, now i am in the time to get one, and i got he clreance from the wife and alot of explination. lol womennnnnnnn

but i have questions, do most of them start, even if it says it doesnot start (does that mean it needs a jump??)

also whats up with the key issue, do i need to get one or the GL will have them.

i am looking into using for offrading only, i already have a small car for intown driving

what tools should i bring when i go pick it up???

thats all thank you for your help.:)

Oldsouthernboy

AHHH Love a open ended question: Wont't start can mean from dead batteries, missing batteries, to missing engine, starter, alternators, wiring you name it it may be missing, butchered, of FUBARED. (oh someimes maintaince removes and installes the glow plug card backward so as not to start as a anti theft device) Keys Issue.. Get your own and keep it close,In fact have several, all cucv keys are the same, that is why you see a hunk of chain welded to the seat to go over the steering wheel. Off road driving in a M1009 is nice but if not carefull and put big tires on it you can snap a axle or blow out the goverment locker very easy. Not fun if in the snow A$$ deep to a tall elephant and a broken or blown axle. Tools: As many as you can carry both metric and US. This is mix of metrtic and us Do not forget the Damm tool retiever. Bring along Oil, Air filters, fuel filters, spare belts, Rad hoses, Air compressor, jack lug wrench, a can if diesel also. A 20 manual of you have one (STUDY IT) read and read and more reading of other peoples problems. Have a LOT of time if you plan to drive it home Remember murphys law repeat often as you scrach your head. Then go rent a UHaul trailer, LIE LIE LIE, tow home and repeat as a mantra WHY DID I DO THIS to the full moon while drunk. All in all to be honest plan for the worst and be happy with less. I keep reminding my self this is 25 year old vehicle with years of use and abuse I can fix it as i get another bank loan. I have a M1009 and a M1028, both now run good and I would drive then on a long trip any day. Have fun and keep the damm tool retrival tool close by.

ranchhopper

Its been my experience the five tons and deuces were for the most part ready to go aside from batteries and fuel filters but most of the CUCVS have had issues. I have all my CUCVs shipped now or if they are reasonably close I tow bar them home it can make a fun trip into a nightmare fast especially in the cold weather. Most have glowplug issues and most will not have turn signals or lights or flat or damaged tires and unless the truck comes from an area with a more temperate climate the batteries will be junk. This is not to discourage you from buying a CUCV just a helpful heads up if your going the GL route. I have bought many from GL and the GSA Im either not smart enough to quit while Im ahead or just a glutton fof punishment or maybe a bit of both.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks