• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Looking for detailed pictures of level wind

seano11

I'll try and get some pics tonight hopefully someone chimes in and tells me the bolt size I'll see if the gf will take some pics of me with the truck in my short shorts

swiss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Bring your socket set with you tonight, it is one of them between 5/8 and 3/4 :)

Don't be using them metric wrench's you have up north, lol

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
M813 nut bolt wind size

One day you'll get er' done eh.

Don't know how big your bolt is but here's some of your pictures and our random M1010 M813 convoy video. Might have a pic' of your mechanic. Does she go away when you have these questions? All I know is 2 1/2 ton is half of 5 ton, even when looking through the TM's.:) Good luck

M813 M1010 Canadian Convoy - YouTube

Attachments

Vintage iron

see you found a level winder and tensioner. They all need to be torn down and greased. I left one of the wheels out of the tensioner and the cable end slid right through, then put the wheel in.

seano11

Ok so I tried to tear down the tensioner and I can't get the rod out that holds the wheel in place I get it almost all the way out then it just bloody stops is there a trick to getting these out or do I need a press ?

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
I'll try and get some pics tonight hopefully someone chimes in and tells me the bolt size I'll see if the gf will take some pics of me with the truck in my short shorts
MAN, you must have some REAL baggy shorts, or truck is a NEW name for ----,you might want to second guess the the pics if this is the case.

Last edited:

zebedee

conceptualizer at large
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hmm - I thought my front winch looked wrong! Just released from GL auction, the cable comes up the front of the drum, over the back sharp edge of the level wind frame, over the pulley then down, under the big fairlead roller and out! Cable is not level wound on the drum, all bunched up on one side - all rollers and swivel on trolley siezed (solid grease) and a broken clevis with chain n hook on the back deck under the crane. Cable terminates with a thimble and old style screw and nut clamp (not the "u"bolt kind)
I guess the last user wasn't the smartest.

So - upon tear down - found shiny blue paint all over the level winder - and white on the indexing plate of the tensioner, all under some green. Assuming this is normal for the manufacturer.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks