• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Looking for first M35A2

Swervin

I've been interested in getting an M35 for a few months, and found this site about a week ago, and I figured this would be a good place to find answers to some questions I have :) .

I was wondering what exactly was the process for getting an M35 from a place like government liquidation?

From what I understand so far (and please correct me if I'm wrong, I'm still trying to figure this all out), after I find the truck I want to bid on, I bid, and if I get the high bid/win I send in an EUC, pay, wait for the EUC to get approved, once it's approved I set up an appointment to get my truck (within 10 days of EUC approval, I think), then go to get it.

After that is when I start to have questions, like what do I have to do to be able to drive it home? What do I do to get an SF97? Do I have to have a LEO or DMV inspector there when I pick it up? If it doesn't start, can I make another appointment to remove it? Also, how much does a running M35A2 usually go for at auction?

I appreciate any help and advice anyone can give. :)

acetomatoco

Read all the poop on the GL website... print it and study it... If you are not familiar with big trucks do not plan to drive it home... Have it picked up by a reliable commercial carrier.. you just fax the release and paperwork to the trucker and let him handle the appointment...Your first EUC may take a long time because of newbie errors and the needed full examination of your answers... Lots of M35s available for sale by other agencies without the hassle.. and of course private sales and dealers...Joe Young, Rich Greene, and Bob Kettler for example, provided literally dozens of good trucks to collectors... Join the MVPA www.mvpa.org and get a subscription to Military Vehicles Mag.. www.militaryvehiclesmagazine.com and read some of the articles on the trucks and see the ads...There are dealers near you in IOWA.... good luck and welcome ACE

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome to the site!

To answer a few questions for buying from GL. THIS IS THE VERY SHORT BOTTOM LINE UP FRONT version.

Find truck
Inspect, inspect, inspect, inspect the trucks your looking at. Dont forget to inspect!!!!
Bid
Win
EUC paperwork sent in
Wait for paperwork to clear
EUC approved
Here's where it gets tricky.....

Check with DMV to see if you can get temp plates or ????? (One thing, while I dont suggest it, that has been done before is just get insurance on it, and drive it home, worry about DMV stuff/plates once it's home... Not entirely legal though)

Pick up truck (Your inspection will determine if it runs/ need tow/whatever to get home. DMV inspector doenst need to be with you)

To get SF-97..
Once truck is home.. Get a PD officer to look at truck verify VIN, sign a sheet of paperwork saying it is what it is.
Send in with $60
Wait 2 weeks, SF-97 comes in mail
Go to DMV, get title.

Thats it in a nutshell..
Your inspection will determine if the truck starts, or will need light wrenching, or whatever to get it to be driveable home. As for the 2nd pick up date, I think you only have 14 days or so unless you make good coordination at the site.........

As per cost, thats another story.. Depends on the truck, what "options" (hard top, winch) over all condition, if it runs, how rusty or not it is, the list goes on...

START READING THE TM's and ask questions here. We've all done this a time or 2, or some guys 20+ times before! We're glad to help!!
Welcome!

Swervin

How much would a commercial carrier charge for a 250 mile trip, approximately? Any recommendations on carriers? I've never driven one before, but I figured if I had trouble my father in law could get it home, he's a mechanic and former truck driver, and will be there when I pick it up.

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Swervin, Welcome! If you are gonna get a truck from GL, there is usually a phone number listed for the DRMO custodian where the truck is. Call and make an appointment to look at it. The man at the DRMO my buddy got his truck from was very friendly and didn't really care what we did. He even let us pull start the truck since the batteries were dead. The inspection will give you an idea of what it will take to get it home. Ask if there's an SF97. It wasn't offered for Wills truck and the auction said no SF97, but we asked and he said there was one. Just be nice and make conversation. Wills EUC took all of 45 days and after that, we called and made arrangements to pick it up. They let us work on the truck right there on the base no problems. You shouldn't have any issues driving it home even w/o a plate as long as there are some bumper numbers, we were followed and passed by at least 10 LEOs on the way back with no issues. Don't know about registering in Iowa. Someone else here will most likely know though. As for prices, $1500.00 to $9000.00. Take your time. Are you mechanicly inclined? It might help to find someone from here to go with you to check it out. Don't be afraid to ask questions here. There is a wealth of info here and all are more than willing to share and help out as much as they can. Oh yeah we like pictures :wink: !

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here is my pick up story, the main info is on the top of the 2nd page.. For pickup, some yards are very "by the bookish" while others are like the one I got my truck from, and just dont care as long as you sign the paperwork, and get the truck out. I did MANY hours of inspection prior to bidding.. Took lots of pics, asked the guys here LOTS of questions, and read alot of TM's...... Then I bid and won. And, I just got the SF-97 paperwork this week... :)

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=10746&postdays=0&postorder=asc

However, if you do have a dealer by you, you may want to take that route. Either way, we're here to guide you down the path you choose..

Swervin

My first thought was to go through a dealer, but I looked around a bit and didn't see any in iowa/western illinois/norther missouri. If anyone could point me in that direction I'd be greatful. You guys have been very helpful :D .

Djfreema

In Memorial
In Memorial
I paid $600 to have a dead duece towed home about 200 miles on a dove tail trailer with a winch. This was "the good guy price" with my cousins company. I have since purchased a tow bar and saved thousands of dollars on tow bills.

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Some more random thoughts on GL..

Trucks in LA and surrounding states have some "hurricane victim" trucks, particularly Pineville LA.. Steer clear of them. The rust on every non painted surface is an indicator. However, not every truck in those states is a hurricane victim. ADR got a nice runner non victim truck out of LA I think.
Paint is skin deep, but rust can go to the bone.

Seems right now, alot of M35A2's are in PA and MI...
Some random auctions and thoughts.

http://cgi.govliquidation.com/auction/view?id=1203853&convertTo=USD
Not a good first truck if you want a nice runner out of the gate

http://cgi.govliquidation.com/auction/view?id=1208306&convertTo=USD
Says it doesnt start.. Could be as simple as bad batts, or the oil slick underneath it could be a "ventilated block" Or the slick could of been left there from the truck that was parked there before this one.. See why inspection is important?

http://cgi.govliquidation.com/auction/view?id=1211613&convertTo=USD
Pics pretty much say it all.. Good for parts though, Not a runner by any means..

http://cgi.govliquidation.com/auction/view?id=1216830&convertTo=USD
Hurricane victim? Maybe.. The rust on the engine in pic #7 doesnt look normal..... Inspection would tell.

http://cgi.govliquidation.com/auction/view?id=1218611&convertTo=USD
Not very long ago, GL wouldnt say anything about the hole in the block, other to say "truck doesnt run"... Inspection would tell if they didnt.. This truck has GREAT potential, after a new engine is dropped in.. Considering it is a USAF later contract truck, this one might be interesting...

Hopefully you've learned that ANY truck your seriously considering NEEDS an inspection. We have guys everywhere, so if you cant do an inspection, perhaps someone on here might for you if you ask.

Hope this helps!

Swervin

How much notice does government liquidation need for an inspection? Also, it seems all the auctions start on the 17th, and end on the 21st, how often do they run these? I've only got $500 right now, so I probably wont be getting one this time around :cry: .

dabtl

I bought mine from John Colwell in Texas, about 75 miles from my home, in September.

He donated an extra emergency brake to replace the damaged one on the truck, had it running when we got there to pick it up. I got a M105a2 trailer in the deal also.

My son, who had never driven a stick shift before, drove it home pulling the trailer.

We changed the oil, filters, front marker and tail lights immediately. It needed a new soft top several months later.

We have made several parades and trips of 100 or so miles since the purchase.

On April 24 we took it out in a flood rescuing people off the tops of trucks here. The water line showed five feet on the radiator.

We are preparing to change the oil and filters again next week.

On the whole it was and is a very satisfying means of acquiring a deuce that runs well. We learn more about it weekly and I might at some point pick up a 5 ton dump that is here locally but not running. The more you mess with them the more confidence in making them work you acquire.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks