• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Looking for GL bid advice

rjinga

Hey everyone,

I searched the threads before I posted this, but I didn't find an answer. I'm considering bidding on a M1009 that is out-of-state. The body and interior look pretty nice in the photos, but I am not going to be able to personally preview it.

I want to assume the worst - the engine/drivetrain is shot - and then make a reasonable bid based on the body and interior (with a little throw away money in there too).

In other words, what's a good price for just the shell and seats?

Iceman3005

I bid sight unseen (except for photos), All you can do is bid and have fun. Ya I have had too put money in them to get them running but that was have the fun.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Do you want to win it, or just bid what it's worth?

Boreal21

As cheap as you can get 'em :beer:

I don't think I've ever previewed anything I've won. If possible, by all means do it, but sometimes you just can't do it logistically. I won 3 trucks from Vegas and recently picked them up. After new batteries 2 of them fired right up. The third will take a little TLC to get running, but like Iceman said that's half the fun!

Best you can do is look closely at the pictures. Some GL locations are better than others as far as picture coverage goes. Most take a pic of the engine compartment, so you could at least get an idea if it's complete. You can also look for the tell-tale forklift dents in the side of the body, meaning they were potentially manhandled and you might be replacing drive shafts (I had to on one of the trucks I won).

Anyway, good luck!

AMX

A nice looking one with no guages and unknown operating condition went for $3060 today + all the fees, tax etc..

Sorry, that was a M109!

Iceman3005

When I bid a set a limit in my mind and wouldn't go over, I went through probably 5 or 6 auctions before I won. Remember there's always another one out there. If you don't have a lot of mechanical ability or patience I would recommend you buy one from a private party that has already done all the work.

91W350

Your best plan is to contact a member in the area and have them go look at it, preferably a member who likes CUCVs, seems some of our fine group considers them trash, not worthy of the MV title, wheel chocks, generally annoying. Personally, I like them.... if it is in Kansas, I would be glad to go look at it for you. If it is at Riley, I have a couple of other lots to look at next week. Just jet me a PM. Glen

rjinga

Do you want to win it, or just bid what it's worth?
I'd like an idea of what's it worth so I can decide what I'm willing to bid. For example, I know a $20,000.00 bid would win it (exaggerating for effect), but it's not worth that to me.

I'm with boreal21 - I want it as cheap as I can get it!

rjinga

You can also look for the tell-tale forklift dents in the side of the body, meaning they were potentially manhandled and you might be replacing drive shafts (I had to on one of the trucks I won).

Anyway, good luck!
Hmmm, there looks like there is a slight vertical dent near the back of the front quarter panel, but I can't see a matching dent further down the body.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Ya pays your money and ya takes your chances.

Prices are always higher on the left coast...for all MV's....there are less of them out there.

The southeast seems to be the target rich environment for buying MV's since there are a lot more military bases per geographical area.

The worst southern states for rust are Florida and North Carolina (in my opinion).

Any northern state that uses salt in the winter is going to have vehicles with rust issues.

The government is now using your tax dollars to transport MV's to regional GL sales lots which means you may not know where a vehicle you are bidding on came from.

This is also the cause of most of the forklift damage to these vehicles....Bubba does not always take good care of the gooberments property.

I have bought over 30 (non-scrap) vehicles from GL and only one had a bad engine.

91W350

Will they swear on their children/grandchildren that they won't bid on it too? ;-)
I will not swear on anybody, but I will not bid on anymore CUCVs unless they have dual wheels. I have bigger targets now, I really want a M818 and a M920. Somebody slap me on the forehead! Glen

Bighurt

Never bid more than you are willing to lose...

Good bet the vehicle will take more than double to recovery and make useable. A total invest ment of 3 times the winning bid is a good start. If you have 3000 I wouldn't bid over 1000, is what I'm saying.

Not bitter at all...just stating the facts

OL AG '89

my .02....
it's a 25 year old vehicle.
it will not be in top shape.
you will get it at a good price.
you will spend what you can afford to R&R all rubber hoses and seals
you will love driving it, when it wants you to.
you will buy another sooner than later.

sierrajcharlie

I know wreckerman is right on the transporting statement. I won a M1009 last year from a GL in Wisconsin. After we got it home I was cleaning it out and found a piece of paper in it. On it was a unit number etc from a base in North Carolina!

It's running better everyday. It's my daily driver, it really likes mud and we're having a ball with it!!

As far as what to bid. Whatever you're comfortable with. Luckily enough I was able to go look at my unit before the auction and was also able to go get it after with a trailer.:-D That made me feel alot more comfortable with bidding and knowing it wasn't going to be that much for transportation. Pictures don't always show ALLOT of bad things. One unit that I was interested in looked good in the picture. In looking at it there, I lifted up the floor mat and was looking at the ground through a 12 inch hole in the floorboard. Needless to say I passed on that one.2cents Good Luck!!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks