• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Looking for GL bid advice

Fleg

I just won a M1009. What I did was watch an auction that had several M1009's in it to get an idea what they were going for. When the next auction came up I had a price in my head I was willing to bid up to and I ended up getting it for that amount. Study the pictures carefully and judge what kind of condition it's in the best you can. Bid accordingly. When you get there and it's not the same vehicle that you bid on then you have a valid complaint and have options.

mistaken1

Here:
Terms and Conditions for auction sales at Government Liquidation

GL States:

PROPERTY DESCRIPTIONS: The information and descriptions found in the advertising materials for specific sales are deemed reliable but are not guaranteed. We neither assume responsibility nor make any warranty regarding the sale's contents. Condition codes, National Stock Numbers (NSN), Local Stock Numbers (LSN), National Item Identification Numbers (NIIN), and Scrap Condition List (SCL) codes are provided as received from the DLA Disposition Services as assistance to our customers. We do not guaranty the accuracy of this information. It is your responsibility to verify an item’s information and description, including but not limited to, product condition, estimated weight, count, measure or other factors that determine the bid price. Information provided by us is not guaranteed and should not be considered as a substitute for your due diligence and physical inspection of the property.

They further state:
YOUR PURCHASE OF OR PLACEMENT OF A BID ON THE PROPERTY CONSTITUTES ACCEPTANCE OF THE PROPERTY "AS IS" AND IN A USED CONDITION. "ACCEPTANCE" AS USED HERE ALSO MEANS THAT, BY PURCHASE OF THE PROPERTY, YOU WILL BE DEEMED TO HAVE EXAMINED, OR HAD THE OPPORTUNITY TO EXAMINE, THE PROPERTY AND AGREED THAT THE PROPERTY IS OF THE SIZE, DESIGN, CAPACITY AND MANUFACTURER SELECTED BY YOU, IS IN PHYSICAL AND MECHANICAL CONDITION ACCEPTABLE TO YOU, AND IS FIT FOR THE PARTICULAR PURPOSE AND USE YOU REQUIRE.

So if you carefully examine the photographs and they are not pictures of the lot you are actually bidding on you can choose to default or take delivery of whatever it is you won. :beer:

WARWAG

If your not in it to win it then dont bid. All that does is drive up the cost. As far as vehicles you should REALLY go and see it in person. Bent drive shafts and broken Tcase/Trans seem to be the norm now that GL has discovered the ease of using a monster fork lift to move vehicle around. Its a shame that they have resorted to this since sometimes it is done AFTER the event and therefore the damage is done after you have bid on the "pictures" you've seen. IF you do decide to bid on a vehicle SAVE THE PICTURES so you can show the Yahoos who have moved it afterward all the body damage they did and was not in there pictures. Just some advice for you. If you dont believe me ask some member here who picked up the trucks from Nellis AFB in Nevada! I was a handful of guys who were VERY lucky. Everyone else had extensive body damage and boken Tcases and Transmission tail shafts ect ect. Good Luck!

stampy

The pictures have ALWAYS matched what I was bidding on. I take copies with me when I win just in case. A blazer can be recovered with a standard car trailer and a winch if necessary (Or GL may load it on the trailer if your real nice and they say loading assistance is available). I have been real lucky so far and most of mine have started with new batteries and a little work in the yard. I have towed a few home due to brake problems or forklift damage( read driveshaft). I'd say if it's complete then up to $2500 if you can do the work yourself and it's close to you otherwise the cheaper the better. Occasionally engines come up for sale in crates also so you may be able to find on real cheap that is mostly complete with no engine and buy a crate engine for it also. My 2 cents

WARWAG

Will they swear on their children/grandchildren that they won't bid on it too? ;-)

Ive been asked to look at several vehicles after the sales ended and after I posted what I won. In your case if your serious about bidding and ask a local member to inspect it before the bids begin then I dont think anyone would step on your toes. We are all pretty honost here and do have a strong brotherhood. That can be seen in the "I need help and am broken down here" examples when the call goes out for help. Its pretty amazing. Just be willing to do it for someone else. Being that the vehicle is in another State you need to make sure you can go and retrieve it "safely" if you do win or fork over the cash to have a company do it. Theres about a 20% fee (includes taxes) that you need to calculate in before you bid. So if you win the bid at $3,000 then your cost will be close to $3,600. Just keep that in mind as well. I am pretty lucky as I am only 4 hours from Vegas and 4 hours from Utah Davis base. I have all of the equipment to pickup a full size vehicle and in a pinch have used a local rental trailer when my own trailer was being used by a friend. So the cost for straps and tie down chains was $0.
Thats anoth cost you need to figure in if your picking it up your self. On this quipment never go the cheap route. Use only the best. Ive seen some serious yahoos strap and jeep down with your typical Home Depot ratchet straps rated at 500 lbs each! Thats insane and will get people killed. Not sure what else to tell you. If you do have a base close to you I would wait until something comes up for bid there. The savings in transport fees would be well worth the time and save you allot of cash not to mention headaches! Good Luck.[thumbzup]

Fleg

If your not in it to win it then dont bid. All that does is drive up the cost. As far as vehicles you should REALLY go and see it in person. Bent drive shafts and broken Tcase/Trans seem to be the norm now that GL has discovered the ease of using a monster fork lift to move vehicle around. Its a shame that they have resorted to this since sometimes it is done AFTER the event and therefore the damage is done after you have bid on the "pictures" you've seen. IF you do decide to bid on a vehicle SAVE THE PICTURES so you can show the Yahoos who have moved it afterward all the body damage they did and was not in there pictures. Just some advice for you. If you dont believe me ask some member here who picked up the trucks from Nellis AFB in Nevada! I was a handful of guys who were VERY lucky. Everyone else had extensive body damage and boken Tcases and Transmission tail shafts ect ect. Good Luck!

I'm one of the guys who bid on a M1009 without being able to inspect it first and I'm one of the guys who picked up my truck from Nellis and watched them first hand how they forklist the vehicles around without a care in the world. i probably got lucky as I got a nice truck. It has a little bit more rust issues then I wish it did but it also started right up after a jump.

I agree with bringing your pictures. I had an entire folder with every detail and photo printed out of my auction just in case. Luckily I didn't have to go that route but I was prepared if I did.

jeep-Jeep

you have to keep in mind GL is a government scrap yard not a used car lot.
some bidders bid high and complain about a truck that has no use to the army because of the cost to repair.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks