• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

looking for info on 5.9 cummins

jooakes

Looking for some info so I can diagnose a power problem I'm having in a dodge ram 3500 I think it's the same motor and transmission that was in the AF tugs on the flight line?
Ever once in a while if you back off the fuel when your just driving around you will loose all power no RPMs, no power it's still running but just at a idle. If you kick the accelerator to the floor a couple of times it comes back and be fine for a while. I noticed that it happens a lot more when the overdrive is engaged, and never happens when I 'm applying power.

I'm not sure if it's a transmission problem or a throttle position sensor or something else
Any ides would be helpful

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
First thing for the Cummins experts is to tell them which model. I'm no expert but I know there is a big difference between the ones in the tugs and a 2013 model.

Model number?

jooakes

Ok it's a 99 cummins 24 valve 5.9. From what I've found they made 2 models that year a 12 valve and the 24 valve.

dstang97

98 is the last year for the 12v. On 24v they have a weak lift pump that burns out the ip pump. One thing to look into.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
jooakes,
TPS is dying on you. "goes to idle"
David
Only if he's lucky.

Most likely you've got a dying VP44 injection pump. First order of business is to hook up a scan tool and pull any DTC's. Please post them up when you get them and we'll go from there. I have access to 5.9 parts.

jooakes

Thanks
I see that the lift pump was replaced with the in tank mod sometime before I got the truck so hopefully that rules out the lift pump.
The scan tool and DTC? are you talking about the codes and check eng light? I'll check it again but I didn't see any stored codes.
On my way to work yesterday (two miles) it happened twice both times I pulled the shifter down in to 2nd and it came right back, That's way I was thinking it might be in the trans.
I'll let you know what I find.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Typically the VP44 will not light a CEL. It sounds like the VP44 death to me. Especially with the replaced lift pump. (BTW the in tank pump isn't much better)

MRFD715

Typically the VP44 will not light a CEL. It sounds like the VP44 death to me. Especially with the replaced lift pump. (BTW the in tank pump isn't much better)
Sounds like it to me too, been down that road before. Do yourself a favor and install a pressure gauge before the IP so you can tell when your lift pump fails. I think the book says 10psi minimum, I always wanted mine to be in that 14-16 psi range. If you don't have any mods done to the truck (power wise) the in tank pump should be ok, just keep an eye on the pressure. If you have mods you need to invest in an aftermarket lift pump set up. It will save you lots of VP44 headaches in the future.

rickf

A dead lift pump is not necessarily a death sentence for the VP-44 injection pump. I have had two lift pumps go out, one was dead when I bought the truck, could have been dead for a long time. Same general symptoms, that was when I found no pressure and replaced it. Same symptoms. Installed a Timbo APPS and problem solved. Had the second lift pump go out on me not long ago and did not know right away because fuel pressure gauge was acting up. New aftermarket pump and now have 23 lbs. at idle and 18 at WOT. Original VP-44. 180,000 miles. Don't believe everything you hear on the internet.

jooakes

Thanks all info is good to have I read the codes and got two 121 and 122 both are TPS I'm still reading info from Blue Diesel (good info)
will keep in touch.
Thanks for the info Skinny I'm originally from Houlton nice to hear from a MANIC.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks