• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

looking for info on a HUMMWV 6.5 turbo boost gage and diesel tachometer

voopah

I plan on doing some towing with my unit. I'm looking for info on a reliable/proven turbo boost gage and diesel tachometer. Would be nice to hear from someone who has went this route. I'm not concerned about price. Any info appreciated.

TIA

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
My suggestion is exhaust gas temperature gauges are more important than either of the above.

My second suggestion is water methanol injection to keep EGT’s low.

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My suggestion is exhaust gas temperature gauges are more important than either of the above.

My second suggestion is water methanol injection to keep EGT’s low.
Third suggestion is if you want to actually make any sort of power install a different motor?

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If he needs HP…

He has a late 90’s turbo, so he can up the boost to 12 and adjust the injection upwards.

T9000

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Tobash is right EGT is what you need, that turbo will not make enough boost to even be worth the effort.
Agree and I am looking to add an EGT gauge, where is the best practical place where you guys installed the probe?

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Agree and I am looking to add an EGT gauge, where is the best practical place where you guys installed the probe?
On my turbo I am installing it where both cylinder banks come together in the turbo, it is hard to see in this picture, thought I had a better one but the shiny spot where the arrow is pointing is a plug in the hole I tapped at about 2 o'clock on the exhaust housing, this will give an average of all the cylinders.
I just stuck that engine in a container and will not have it back out for a couple weeks when I can get a better picture, this of course was much easier with the turbo dissembled on the bench.
Other than that it is customary to mount the probe between the two rear cylinder ports on one side of the engine as in not directly in front of an exhaust port, or just down stream of the rear port.
EGT.jpg

T9000

Steel Soldiers Supporter
On my turbo I am installing it where both cylinder banks come together in the turbo, it is hard to see in this picture, thought I had a better one but the shiny spot where the arrow is pointing is a plug in the hole I tapped at about 2 o'clock on the exhaust housing, this will give an average of all the cylinders.
I just stuck that engine in a container and will not have it back out for a couple weeks when I can get a better picture, this of course was much easier with the turbo dissembled on the bench.
Other than that it is customary to mount the probe between the two rear cylinder ports on one side of the engine as in not directly in front of an exhaust port, or just down stream of the rear port.
View attachment 863917
Ok, I think I see it, the little silver dot to the left of the arrow. How did you keep the metal shavings from dropping in when drilling? Or did you do it with the engine on the bench, taken apart? Would the temperature be closer to maximum at the cylinder heads than at this location?

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well you can use air to blow away most of the shavings while drilling (stop blowing as you get near penetration) and in the case of a manifold that you are drilling down into use a pencil magnet to pick out what little gets in, otherwise it is in the exhaust so what little you miss gets blown out the muffler.
when drilling cast iron as what MOST EGT installations involve the "cuttings" are very fine so they do not pose a great danger, if I was to drill a steel manifold I think I would drill down stream of the rear cylinder so gravity would take care of the cuttings as with steel the cuttings will be somewhat larger.
I did this turbo on the bench as I was rebuilding it.
Of course if you get so far down stream as the turbo all will simply be blown out with no danger of somehow getting into the combustion chamber, but the temp read will be a little lower than in the exhaust manifold

T9000

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well you can use air to blow away most of the shavings while drilling (stop blowing as you get near penetration) and in the case of a manifold that you are drilling down into use a pencil magnet to pick out what little gets in, otherwise it is in the exhaust so what little you miss gets blown out the muffler.
when drilling cast iron as what MOST EGT installations involve the "cuttings" are very fine so they do not pose a great danger, if I was to drill a steel manifold I think I would drill down stream of the rear cylinder so gravity would take care of the cuttings as with steel the cuttings will be somewhat larger.
I did this turbo on the bench as I was rebuilding it.
Of course if you get so far down stream as the turbo all will simply be blown out with no danger of somehow getting into the combustion chamber, but the temp read will be a little lower than in the exhaust manifold
OK, got it, I can see it better in the opened one below where you installed it (it's on the other side of the circle, in that general area):

1649178359528.png

What's your oppinion about those two locations marked EGT1 and EGT2? Those seem easier to drill from inside the cabin and with the engine installed/ complete (without removing parts)? Would one side be hotter than the other? I could install both sensors and either monitor both or only the hotter one if the measurements show one side consistently hotter?

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would think ether 1 or 2 would be OK, have no idea if one side would normally run hotter than the other.
I did not look at the manifolds closely, some manufacturers cast a boss into the manifolds between the rear two cylinders to be drilled for a probe.
If you do drill and tap the manifold where it is rather thin make sure not top over tighten the pipe plug mount and crack the manifold.
There is an arrow pointing to where I drilled and tapped for the probe, your circle is at about 12 o'clock mine is about 2 o'clock.
If you drill the turbo make SURE you do not hit the wheel or shaft!

MattNC

Glowshift has a combo EGT, boost and temp gauge. I was debating that and having the temp gauge be for the transmission temp. I have the stock hmmwv tach which works well.

T9000

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Glowshift has a combo EGT, boost and temp gauge. I was debating that and having the temp gauge be for the transmission temp. I have the stock hmmwv tach which works well.
Yes, the transmission temp monitoring is on my list also and I read that there is already a thermistor built into the transmission, do you know the pin-out where to connect to access it?

T9000

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Anyone knows of pyrometer/ egt, boost and transmission temp gauges with black bezel, white pointer and green backlight (or user replaceable backlight) to match the HMMWV ones?
What gauges are you happy with the look and function?

MattNC

Anyone knows of pyrometer/ egt, boost and transmission temp gauges with black bezel, white pointer and green backlight (or user replaceable backlight) to match the HMMWV ones?
What gauges are you happy with the look and function?
I’m interested as well. Glow shift was closest in a combo gauge but one signal is still digital and I don’t know the answer on connections.

speedhut has great gauges, I have their humvee set which is awesome looking. But they don’t have combo egt/pyro and I don’t want a giant gauge cluster on top of the dash.