• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Looking for info on a used MEP-803a

Gfern3686

Im still relatively new to this forum so if this is posted in the wrong location please let me know. I live in the great state of California and aside from the homeless problem I've been experiencing rolling power outages this past year, sometimes for close to a week at a time. I've been looking at the map-803a series generator to power my hose during these times. From what I've read on this forum and else where this seems to be the correct model for my needs. I was looking at a generator on govplanet coming up at the next Yermo auction. Upon reviewing the handful of pictures and couple of video clips I noticed it has a moderate fuel leak and the oil pressure seems a little low (42 PSI). The fuel leak seems to be an easy fix as it appears to be coming from a deteriorated flex line. Assuming the oil pressure was recorded after a cold start from what I read in the TM it appeared go be out of the manufacturers specifications. I'm not sure if this would effect the oil pressure but based upon the pictures and videos I did not see any oil leaks or blow by. I know auctions can be a crap shoot but going off the limited information govplanet provides does this generator sound like something worth taking a chance on? Is the low oil pressure something I should be concerned about?

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There are lots of reasons why the gauge might read lower than mfg spec oil pressure, not the least of which is the gauges aren't perfectly accurate.
Without knowing what oil might be in it, or if there is anything else going on, it's hard to say more.

It's a crap shoot buying at an auction, without being able to put a mechanical gauge in it you just gotta hope, but personally 42psi at no load still seems kind of decent (though there are those with more knowledge than I that might say different.)

As for the fuel leak, the lines are notorious for leaking as they age, so no surprises there, there are other threads that talk about it, but can either buy european spec fuel line in the exact diameter, or some auto parts stores sell bulk fuel line that's close enough.

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
These sets are not getting easier to find, or less expensive (at least sets that don't look like Tim Curry in the Rocky Horror Picture Show, or that were rolled behind a HMMWV). If you are seriously considering buying one you will have to deal with items like this.

Fuel leak is no big deal, so long as it originates in the soft fuel lines (either primary or return... most common is return). Easy to replace, couple hours work moving slow. The oil pressure, as said above, can only be taken with a grain of salt. There was just a thread kicked up yesterday regarding adding a mechanical oil gauge to these machines, so you know for certain what its running... but I wouldn't be a bit concered with that PSI. Civilian use will never compare to what these are put through when deployed.

They key to the auctions... don't get fixated on A machine. People tend to pay too much when they have set their mind to one in particular, and someone else has too. While not as abundant as they once were, there will be more, for the time being.

Are you SURE you need the power of the 10kw class? First question I always ask potential customers... some do, many don't (and many who don't, dont care... they just want an 803). Have you done a personal audit of your actual power use?

Do yourself a favor and determine two lists:

What I NEED to run in an outage
What I WANT to run in an outage

One list is more important than the other, especially in terms of fuel storage and use. These sets need to be sized to their realistic use... don't buy bigger than you need. We are all here to help. Good luck in the hunt.

Gfern3686

I appreciate the responses. I've added up several of my major appliances that I will likely use (The AC alone was 5500 watts) and also compared my hourly power usage on my electric bill during the summer months which was averaged to about 7.5kw. I think the 10kw would be a safe bet but I could probably get by with a 5kw. I noticed on the unit I'm looking at, it doesn't have the data plate on the generator motor itself. Could this be an indicator that there is a problem with that unit?

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Posting about current auctions is against the site guidelines, but if you want to PM the link to me I'd be happy to give you my thoughts, for whatever they are worth.

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I appreciate the responses. I've added up several of my major appliances that I will likely use (The AC alone was 5500 watts) and also compared my hourly power usage on my electric bill during the summer months which was averaged to about 7.5kw. I think the 10kw would be a safe bet but I could probably get by with a 5kw. I noticed on the unit I'm looking at, it doesn't have the data plate on the generator motor itself. Could this be an indicator that there is a problem with that unit?
Is the AC a constant 5500w draw, or is there a range? The 802 will put out 6250w with ease, and I often can test up to 7kw for duration, for what its worth.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks