• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Looking for info on steel line to rear axle

RallyRebel

The search function again hasn't proven very fruitful for this one: In flushing/bleeding the brake system today I found the steel line to the rear axle was leaking just above the spare tire. Looks like right at the frame clamp, likely a combination of corrosion and wear. So, anyone know the length, size and fittings for this line? It'd be nice to have the replacement on hand to swap in when I dig the rotten one out, so many thanks ahead if y'all know!

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
This is the third thread you have started in an effort to fix your brake lines, why not just one thread and cover all your issues? I just found this info that your asking for in a search I just did looking for the tread size asked for in your other thread.

The line is commonly available at most parts houses. The lines running the side of the frame are 5/16" as is the line from the master to the air cylinder.
The above quote is from Recovry4x4 , I found it searching the deuce forum for "brake line size" and I selected "search all terms" What search terms did you try? did you use multiple words and select "search all terms"? Did you search the "deuce" forum or the whole site?

RallyRebel

Apologies, I typically keep separate issues to separate threads as my other question pertained specifically to the rubber hoses in the system. My search terms were "steel brake line" specifically in the deuce forum. After looking through the first few pages of results without success I decided to start the thread (only two, but did ask in another member's thread that was similar). I don't like creating unnecessary threads as I admin a few forums myself but when you can't find the info... :(

Thanks for sharing the info in any case, any idea of the length of the line in question?

55Cameo

I just replaced the same line in my Deuce because it blew out right above the air tanks. I purchased a 6' section of 5/16 line from Advanced Auto Parts. They had a line with a teflon coating that resists rusting.
Although my Deuce is not stock, the line in question has regular fittings and can be made shorter or longer by cutting or buying several pieces with unions before starting the job. Just make sure that you have a flare kit on hand. The lines are only $5 or so each and the flare kit is pretty cheap.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It's Flare, Flair is how you describe Homosexual Clothing!

Oh, that outfit is Double Flair, Two snaps!

RallyRebel

Yike! Hold the flair there Francis! :p I've got the flare kit, just had hoped to get the pre-made up deal already flared with fittings. My local wholesale parts place has a big section on the wall with all sizes and such up to about 8', so if no one knows exactly at least that part I can just figure out with a flexible tape and a little crawling. :wink: Any idea about the fitting size? 5/16, 3/8?

Thanks again y'all!

55Cameo

The line is 5/16", it is a standard size line with standard size fittings. There are not different size fittings on 5/16" lines. 5/16, 5/16, 5/16, 5/16, 5/16. Maybe someone will read it this time.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
:ditto: If you only read between the lines, it's hard to see the answer! aua

Other than, long or short and metric or american, the fittings on brake lines are pretty much standard sizes based on the tubing size. If you did not know that already, you may want to reconsider doing your own brake work.

ida34

Harsh.

On a side note, I just got some brake line for my F-350. It was the Teflon coated line but it has aluminum fittings instead of brass. Is this due to the cost of brass as of late or is there some other reason for the change. The aluminum fitting seems softer than the brass I am used to.

RallyRebel

Har har. :roll: Done plenty of brake work over the years (used to own a restoration shop) but very little brake line work. Just one of those things ya never really notice the particulars of if you don't fiddle with much. :wink:

Thanks mush for the helpful info. Not so much for the abuse. Gonna be interesting to see what it's really like when I roll to a rally! :p

55Cameo

That's a good question on the fitting material. The line that I just got for the Deuce had Brass fittings with the teflon coating. I'm not sure that I like the idea of Aluminum fittings, but I'm not a metalurgist (probably didn't even spell it correctly).

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just helped repair a Dodge intrepid that had aluminum brake line fittings. You can imagine the condition (deterioration) of them in my climate with all the salt we use on our roads!

Harsh. Har har.
Nope, just concerned and was not asking for intimate details of experience. Please don't read "emotion" into my posts. To quote the infamous Dr Spock(Star Trek), not that other weirdo, "Emotion is totally illogical".

ida34

I was just joking when I made the harsh comment. On another note. My deuce had the rear brake line go bad just behind the area of the spare and the air tanks. I guess the area traps moisture. I wonder how many other people have the same problem with a rusted out line behind the air tanks.

Ralley Rebel,
Don't forget you probably have Dot 5 silicone brake fluid so make sure to either flush the system well or put Dot 5 back in.

RallyRebel

No worries and no offense taken, I get a rash of it from all my HCEA and Caterpillar pals all the time! :wink:

As for the line rot, I'd suspect that the vibration causes the clip to wear the line then the subsequent corrosion accelerated the deterioration. Thanks for the DOT5 reminder, just picked up two gallons of BFS from Spruce Mt. for the job. A lot cheaper than $8 a pint at the local joints!

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Gonna be interesting to see what it's really like when I roll to a rally!
Are you thinking of making it to the Ga rally in Oct? You definitely want to make it to Mike's Fl rally in Feb. See you there!

Jake0147

Aluminum brake line fittings are a cheap and inferior substitute I hate them. I despise them... But, they are still WAY stronger than the forces applied, overkill for the job at hand. Even if brass comes down again, people have figured out that it works and it's cheap so you'll probably see more and more. But the bottom line is it works well while it's in service. Trouble is age. They'll be frozen in place by tomorrow morning. Working well and safely and all, no troubles there, but they're friggin unremovable in a couple of weeks in a Vermont early spring time environment.

TIP-
Even though the threads on the fitting do NOTHING to seal any fluid, give them four solid wraps with teflon tape. It prevents corrosion by minimizing metal to metal contact, and leaves a "soft layer" to break when removing corroded parts, kind of like neversieze. Neversieze is no more than ground up aluminum and fifty weight oil, so it's only borderline effective at preventing aluminum siezures, pretty much the same result as using fifty weight oil. And of course and tape won't fit between the line and the fitting. Consider that to make the lines expendable in future repairs, not savable. That way sometimes you'll have a pleasant surprise, instead of routinely having a dissapointment. But the fittings will (fairly) easily come out of whatever they're screwed into, so the expensive part remains protected.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks