• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Looking for insight on '70 M818 Coolant Petcock Operation

GFrost Roadkill

Fellas. I just moved my heavily modified 5 Ton M 818 from Wisconsin to Colorado on a 53' stepdeck. When it landed in CO I needed to move it three miles up the mountain on a Jeep trail. During that operation I noticed I was spewing coolant and I believe it was coming out the Petcock that feeds coolant back to the reservoir from the Manifold.

Truck runs fairly regularly not under load at about 200 degrees. Does that feel right at idle and getting up to 220 degrees under load?

Have you guys seen the Petcock in the picture leak before? Is this common?

What process do you use for refilling coolant system to be safe? I am assuming we fill reservoir and let it pump it through the block out the large hose on the bottom of reservoir and then back up to the return hose which seems to be the source of my leak.

When I "open" the petcock is that all the way in, (CW) or all the way out (CCW)? When I crack it a 1/4 turn CCW it spews coolant out the top?

If indeed that is my system leak, where might you suggest I buy a new one to swap it out?

Thanks for your insight and being a great community with a common interest.

Greg

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks