• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Looking for M37

StoneMill

I've been browsing for an M37 for my father in law. Ive got the green fever and figure I might as well pass it on. He would love to get an M37 but I don't see his wife letting him spend 5 grand or more on a ready to go truck. I'd like to find something in decent shape that we could work on together. I figure if I front the bill she won't have too much of a problem with it. Neither of us are big automotive guys but both are very capable. I'm redoing my deuce right now. Taking her down to the frame and then rebuilding/painting.
I just pm'd the seller of the M37 in the classified section (jeffrey.junod1 in hinesville ga 1953 dodge m37 weapons carrier - Steel Soldiers::Military Vehicles Supersite). I haven't received a reply with info and pics yet. I'm wondering what you guys think as far as this M37 for a project for a newb. I've got access to just about all the tools I could need. Mig Welder (learning to use), Torch, Blast Cabinet, Paint Booth, Decent size garage, Air Tools, etc...
This M37 happens to be partially disassembled from what the ad says. I'm wondering if I'll be in over my head with an M37 in this shape and if at the price it seems worth it? So far the deuce has been pretty simple and I haven't run into anything I couldn't handle (already had the tranny out to replace rear main, basically stripped to frame and motor now). Are M37s that much harder to work on. I expect parts aren't as plentiful but they have to be out there.
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/vbclassified.php?do=user&userid=13567

vtdeucedriver

No pics but the price is good if it is a straight truck. You could probably find one a bit closer to home tho. If you want a M37 now as a project, yes parts are out there but hold on to your wallet and dont offer to foot the bill for it all just yet. The dam things will nickle and dime you to death!!! There are pleny of vendors out there that stock parts. Join the
www.g741.org Good group of guys that are just about the M37. Then you can get a idea of what your up againsed.

The criteria I used to use was---
a good body without too many missing parts = $1K,
a running engine, especially if still 24V = $1K, [note: NOT RAN WHEN PARKED]
a winch, troop seats, cab top, cargo bows, etc can add another grand or more.
A complete re-wire for safety is gonna cost a grand.

Adjust your dollars available to purchase by how much work you are willing and able to do. Remember, an M-37 is NOT rocket science. Mostly labor intensive, again depending on the desired end result.

A frame up rebuild is not always necessary to have a fun, operational, and safe truck.

gunboy1656

Boy I hate saying it but do a search, there was a few posts a little while ago about some M37's up in the northeast (of PA) for sale, even had pics.

SasquatchSanta

As someone that has built three M37s I think you will be better off in the long run spending a little more on the front end and getting a good truck than buying a basket case. It's the old either get you now or get you later story.

It's quite a ways from you but I know of a good B1 M37 up here in Northern Minnesota. I sold it to a guy that owned a resort several years ago to pull the larger boats out of the water with. He probably hasn't put 100 miles on it in ten years and since it's stayed on the resort it hasn't been subjected to road salt.

It's a 1961 B1 w/o winch. It has a hard top off a CCKW. CCKW tops fit and look good on an M37s.

I spoke with the owner the other day and he said since he is no longer in the resort business he was thinking about selling it. I don't think he would appreciate having his personal Tel Nr posted on the internet so if you are interested MP me and I'll forward his Nr.

Also --- it's been stored inside

StoneMill

I haven't seen any local so far but I think I'm going to hold out for something closer. Maybe within a 100 miles. I didn't expect to find many for under $2000 but it sounds like they are out there. Anybody in PA/De/NY/MD area got one for sale?

richnewb

Hi, Rich down in Delaware. I have 3 m37's curremtly. Two i am using to build a custom off road rig. The other (best) has been stored in my shop and I have been considering possibly selling. PM if still interested and maybe we can come up with something.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks