• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Looking for Methanol?

houdel

Still looking for a source of methanol? Try Torco Racing Fuels, they distribute methanol along with high octane gasoline. Don't know how regional they are but I found three dealers within about a one hour drive of my LZ who carry methanol, two by the gallon, one by 55 gal drums. Price ranged from $2.10/gal to $2.65/gal, of course the closest place was the most expensive! Also try any marinas in your area, apparently a lot of high performance race boats run on methanol.

http://www.torcoracefuels.com/index.php

67Beast

Lee, we sell methanol here at my race shop. We go through about 2000 gallons a month in the summer so you know it is always fresh. We sell by the gallon or the drum. We're about an hour southwest of you at the Silver Lake Sand Dunes in Mears. Shop # is 231-873-4047, David Allen Racing. 8)

houdel

Duneland, of course. I'll drive the Deuce over when I'm ready to purchase some. Still have to do the 1 liter & HEET experiment, it was scheduled for this weekend, cancelled due to lack of a Dr. Pepper bottle!

houdel

Odd as it may seem, even with six, eight, and ten year old sons living in the house, I couldn't find a single, empty 2L pop bottle around the house! The last one I had was made into a rain cap for my Deuce, after I finished repairing the rusted-out bottom of my J-pipe (recieved from DRMO in that condition).

houdel

HAH! Ten cents wouldn't buy enough diesel to get the Deuce up my driveway! That's why I'm trying to make Biodiesel. I'll probably still spend as much money making the Bio as I do buying diesel, but I'll get to drive the Deuce 5 times as much!

Interesting concept though. At nearly $3.00/gal for diesel, I'd need a 30 pack to buy a gallon of fuel. That would make my mileage 3 cans/mile!

I'll have to get the kids to drink more Faygo Ohana Punch. Its considered a fruit drink and not subject to the bottle deposit. Then I'd have plenty of containers for processing and wash tanks!

houdel

CCATLETT1984 - It's probably not practical for us to try and share a drum of methanol, SCS is a 230 mile, 4 hour trip each way for me. If all your retailer has is drums, try finding another source. I located three sources within about an hour's drive from me, one only sold by the drum but the other two sell by the gallon, I just need to bring a red gas can. One of the retailers is a steel soldiers member!

BTW, you did mean "methanol" when you wrote "meth", didn't you?

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
When you start getting into biodiesel, a 55 gallon drum won't last that long. The supply of oil, assuming you find one, of course, will not end. 20, 30 or more gallons a week will soon pile up and you will need about 20% methanol to prepare the bio.
Robert Miller was gracious enough to supply me with a 55 gallon drum back in March and it's just about empty now.
So a 55 gallon drum of methanol should get you 250 gallons or so of biodiesel, equal to 10-12 weeks of production.

Go for a drum and get the discount!

houdel

Bjorn, I agree with you comments on methanol consumption. From what I've read, 25 gallons of WVO will require about 5 gallons of mentanol to process, and should yield a little less than 25 gallons of Biodiesel, which is a little more than one weeks consumption for me. Using those figures, a drum of methanol would make 11 batches of Bio and last me 3-4 months. It doesn't make very much sense to drive 2-1/2 to 3 hours once a week to pick up 5 gallons of menthanol for that weeks production of Bio! As it turns out though, the "pump" price of methanol from one retailer is about $0.28/gal cheaper than the drum price.

But I still have to find that D*** Dr Pepper bottle and get started though!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks