• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Looking for Pics of CUCV Frame Horns

SpecWarSquid

I'm adapting CUCV D-ring mounts to my civy 79 Suburban and I'm running into an interference issue between the D-ring mount and the Radiator Core support mount bracket. Before I start clearencing the RCS bracket I was wondering if anyone could post up some pics of the front frame horns area on a CUCV. I want to see if the difference in is the frame horn itself or just the RCS brackets. Other than that most of the bolt holes are there and line up, some aren't and will need to be drilled out.

Thanks in advance

Jersey4x4

The frame is different on the 79 compared to the cucv,s I think the change year was 1981 but could be 1982 to the cucv style.

I'm adapting CUCV D-ring mounts to my civy 79 Suburban and I'm running into an interference issue between the D-ring mount and the Radiator Core support mount bracket. Before I start clearencing the RCS bracket I was wondering if anyone could post up some pics of the front frame horns area on a CUCV. I want to see if the difference in is the frame horn itself or just the RCS brackets. Other than that most of the bolt holes are there and line up, some aren't and will need to be drilled out.

Thanks in advance

SpecWarSquid

The frame is different on the 79 compared to the cucv,s I think the change year was 1981 but could be 1982 to the cucv style.
Thanks for the reply.

Yes but is the difference in the frame in the area of the Frame horns? I seem to recall a guy who swap a 84 front end on to a pre 80 truck with out mention of issue. I was thinking the difference might be in the RCS bracket since the RCS is different. I do know the some brackets are different like the outer bumper support braces. Thanks

ranchhopper

The frame horns are open on the ends not rounded with the flange like the 79 the bumper brackets bolt to the front 81-87 unlike earlier 73-80 chevys where the bumper bolts directly to the frame horn.

Attachments

Last edited:

SpecWarSquid

The frame horns are open on the ends not rounded with the flange like the 79 the bumper brackets bolt to the front 81-87 unlike earlier 73-80 chevys where the bumper bolts directly to the frame horn.
Thanks. Thats what I needed to see. Looks like i'll need to trim both the core support brackets as well as the frame to get the mounts to seat where they need to be. The bumper itself looks like it too will need a a lil trimming on it's upper corners, maybe not. We'll see how much adjustment it has.

Attachments