• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Looking for recomendation on NEW Rims - Want something that looks decent...

MuddWeiser

I can't seem to find any decent replacement rims that aren't all CHROMED out BlingBling for my CUCV... My rims are HORRIBLY out of balance and are wearing my tires down extremly fast...

I would like to purchase a decent set of replacement rims but can't find anything that look decent... I am looking for stock 15x8 with the 3.70 backspacing (or close to it)...

ANY links or make/model rims suggestions are much appreciated !

THANKS!

papercu

There are some at the salvage yards but none real close to you. Prices run about 35 to 85.00. Wayne
Select Auto and Truck Recyclers CA(Redding) 1-800-252-5032
San Bernardino Truck - RPN CA(San-Bernardino) 1-888-796-5211
Cypress Auto Salvage CA(Oakland) 1-800-573-7278
Navarra Truck and Van Dismantlers CA(San-Jose) 1-800-628-2772
Waterford Truck Dismantling CA(Waterford) 1-800-544-3488

MuddWeiser

My issue isn't so much the way they "look".... The rims I have now I think look good - I would call them "rusty steel" color... They look good on the truck because it keeps the "original" look to it.

I wouldn't mind having the stock rims painted green or black either - MY PROBLEM is that my stock rims are out of round/balance. I bought brand new tires and the balancer kept saying the rim itself was out of balance (balanced the rim w/out a tire on)...

I can't even find the stock rims new anywhere... The make replacement stock rims but I can only find them in a 15 x 7 and not 15 x 8. And our original rims are 1900-2100lbs load rated and the replacement rims I find are only 1600lbs load rated.

I ended up buying a set of CRAGAR SOFT 8 rims in black. I hope they look okay when I get them. They didn't make them in 3.75" backspacing so I had to go with the 4" backspacing.

I hope they line up and fit and look good!

Dan6wd

Muddweiser, when you say, you balanced the rim without the tire on it, was that the regular dynamic balance? The best way to see how far out of round a wheel is, is to perform a match balance, or pro balance some people refer to it as. Heres a paradigm for you. You mount the tire/rim assembley on the balancer, set the balancer for match balance, spin tire, mark valvestem with tire chalk, remove from balancer, break tire bead and rotate tire on rim 180 degrees, remount tire and reinstall on balancer, spin tire. Now the machine will give you 2 readouts. IE, R1.75 and T1.50 That means your rim would be off by 1 3/4 OZ and the tire would be off 1 1/2 OZ. Then what you would do is index the rim reading to top dead center on the machine and make a chalk mark, next rotate the tire and index the tire reading to top dead center on the balancer and make a chalk mark. Next remove the tire from the balancer and break the bead and index the two chalk marks you made on the tire. Air the tire up the the recommended psi, reinstall on balancer and balance the tire as you normally would. Using this setup, the ammount of weight required to balance the wheel and tire is usually reduced by half, since you now have the tire and rim "match" balanced in retrospect with each other. It would not fix your out of round wheel, however it would dramaticaly reduce the tire wear and vibration you are getting due to lateral force variation.

MuddWeiser

Hmmm I had never heard of that... We have a pretty old tire balancer in the shop where I work (I work in the computer dept...)

They let me use the shop for my truck though...

I just put the rim bare on the balancer (without the tire).

I don't know if I can set the balancer up for "match" balance? Is there a way to perform this test/adjustment using the balancer twice? i.e. the first time I run the balance test, then record my results, marking with chalk on the rim - then run the test a 2nd time with the tire rotated 180* on the wheel?

Dan6wd

Muddweiser, I do not know how accurate it would be, but I came up with something that may help, that goes along with your idea. What I want you to do is, mount your bare rim on the balancer, set the balancer up for static balance, spin the wheel, index the wheel to top dead center where it calls for you to put a wheel weight, instead of putting a wheel weight there, put a small chalkmark on the backside of the wheel, then remove the wheel, and make sure you don't rub your chalk mark off the wheel. Mount the tire on the rim and put at least enough air in the tire to seat the beads. Now I want you to spin the wheel and tire together, next rotate the tire to top dead center, as if you were going to put a weight on it, instead of putting a weight on it make a chalkmark on the backside of the tire. Remove the tire and rim from the balancer, break the bead down and rotate the tire until you align the chalkmark you made on the tire, and the chalkmark you made on the rim. Use beadlube so you can rotate the tire on the rim easily. If you don't have beadlube use a solution of dishsoap and water. After you align the two marks, make sure they stay aligned and air up the tire to the recommended psi. then reinstall on wheel balancer and set the machine up for dynamic balance. spin the tire and balance as you normally would. Print this page and follow my directions EXACTLY! the procedures are crucial in order to get the best ride. Oh, I almost forgot, each time you mount the tire/wheel on the balancer be sure you mount it in the same exact place each time! for example if your balancer has a dot on the shaft, align the tire valvestem up to the dot on your balancer shaft. If it does not have a dot on the shaft, make one with chalk, or any other akin marking you can align the valvestem to, so it's in the EXACT SAME POSITION, each time you spin. It's not all that difficult, it's actually easier to do, I probably confused you by now:-D

101coolcars

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Modern "military" looking rims

I can't seem to find any decent replacement rims that aren't all CHROMED out BlingBling for my CUCV... My rims are HORRIBLY out of balance and are wearing my tires down extremly fast...

I would like to purchase a decent set of replacement rims but can't find anything that look decent... I am looking for stock 15x8 with the 3.70 backspacing (or close to it)...

ANY links or make/model rims suggestions are much appreciated !

THANKS!
I wanted the same thing, this is what I decided to do, I considered powdercoating the rims OD, I am painting the truck now. and considering desert cammo, or possibly swat black. hope the pics help you out

Attachments

davo727

I wanted the same thing, this is what I decided to do, I considered powdercoating the rims OD, I am painting the truck now. and considering desert cammo, or possibly swat black. hope the pics help you out
What kind of rims are those? Size? Steel or painted aluminum? Do they have a load rating stamped on them?

My big issue with rims is Load rating, a lot of cheap aftermarket wheels have a 2000 lb rating which sucks!

I want at least a 3400 lb each rating. These trucks are heavy and im going to pull a gooseneck with it.

Last edited:

101coolcars

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The wheels are Pro comp, they are stamped 3300 or 3400 lbs. the rims are 16.5x9, they are aluminum. I installed them last month. The truck is still at my shop, so that is my recollection on the specs. I think the load rating on the tires is E. check out www.4wheelparts.com they have a good online wheel and tire display. thats where I got my package. thanks terry:-D

firebuilder

You could try 1-800-USED-RIM. They don't have a website, but that was their number. I don't know if they are still in business, but I ordered some wheels from them about 8 years ago. They were the only place I could find 16" steel wheels for my Ranger for a decent price. Got 4 Crown Vic police wheels for $85 each including shipping from CA to MI.

allrevup

Another alternative are the Hummer H2 17" wheels they fit and are rated for the weight, usually about $250 or less on ebay. You could have then powder couted any color you want, if you like center caps use the ones from the HD 2500 chevy or GMC '07 and earlier End of the day they look good and aking to todays modern CUCV equibalent with more tire choices

Last edited: