• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Looking for some advice on running a 12v winch

sluggish

I recently bought a 404 and it doesn't have a winch. It has the crawler gears instead of pto for winch. I already have a new 10,000lb winch but it is 12 volt. I am trying to avoid buying another winch(24v), or buying a 24v motor, and was thinking of using a step down transformer or something to get down to 12v. This would also give me the option of putting in a radio and some other 12v accessories. Does anyone know of such a unit, that is capable of handling the high current that will be required of the winch It is not likely to get used often, but it will be needed now and then for self recovery and moving trees off the trail. My estimate is that it will see usage about 10 times per year. Could I just run it off 24v for the limited use it will see or will I toast it pretty quickly?

If I can't get around it with a transformer, I'm thinking maybe I could add a pair of batteries and run them at 12v, and maybe there is such a thing as an isolator that will allow me to charge them at 12v from the alternator? Problem is I don't know if something like this even exists. Regardless of the winch issue, I need to get 12v somehow as well. Anybody have some good input or ideas on this.

I'd rather not add another a pair of batteries if I can help it but I am open to the option if it is the better choice.

saddamsnightmare

September 16th, 2015.

Good luck with your winch! Most Unimogs are 24VDC and the batteries do not like having a draw made on only one of the pair for a 12 VDC load. Transformer will not work unless you can devise a 24VDC inverter box. You can get the PTO and the German mechanical winch for your truck, and you will find out that like the rest of the truck, it is way overbuilt.

Speedwoble

At work we use Surepower battery equalizers. They equalizer the 12V voltage on one battery at 10amps. So you would put this on the 24V side, then hook your winch to one battery. When the winch is used and draws one battery down so they are unequal, the equalizer will bring the low one up at a 10 amp rate. Now if you are using the winch heavily, that won't be enough to keep up with it. [h=1]Sure Power 12010E00 Equalizer 10A 12V to 24V[/h]

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
The surepower equalizers convert 24 to 12 volt the large ones do 100 amp. You would be surprised what a winch will draw. A friend tried running a similar motor on a plow setup and the 100 amp converter didn't like it. Even with 4 large batteries. Your best bet is to swap the winch motor with a 24 volt one if you want to use the winch you have.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mind you, I've never actually tried this myself but I've been told by several people that you can run a 12v winch on 24v without problems if you change the solenoids.

Do a search for "12v winch on 24v" and you should get some results.

Speedwoble

The surepower equalizers convert 24 to 12 volt the large ones do 100 amp. You would be surprised what a winch will draw. A friend tried running a similar motor on a plow setup and the 100 amp converter didn't like it. Even with 4 large batteries. Your best bet is to swap the winch motor with a 24 volt one if you want to use the winch you have.
I completely agree. That winch will pull hundreds of amps.
I guess I should have said if you are using the winch for more than a minute, the equalizer won't be enough to keep up.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks