• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Looking for some insight on a M1008

cucvrus

DSCF4929.jpgThe yard at the rental property has been neglected. I will need a bailer to get thru that mess. Or just a Honda bagger. Last week I was overloaded with top soil on the trailer. This week it is grass clippings. Now I am about 1/2 way thru and the rain has begun again. I must use the push mower. The yard is that wet the tractors get in ruts. Time to rig a deck under the M1009. DSCF4930.jpgDSCF4931.jpgDSCF4932.jpgSee the mud trail in the yard. We are supposed to have rain for about 3-4 more days. I am mowing between the rain drops at this point. Everything is green and my bamboo has grown 4 ft in less then a week. The horror is unloading the grass from the trailer. The field is to wet to use the loader so I will just have to unload it by hand with the fork. Nice. But yes I was stuck in the house briefly during a down pour. Have a Great Day

MarcusOReallyus

Yeah, I'm in the same boat. Waiting for the yard to dry out enough to grind a dozen stumps. Planned for Memorial Day weekend, but it's a soggy mess now, and planning to rain all week.

I have an exhaust system for the 1028 sitting here just waiting to be put in place when things dry out enough. Maybe one of these days I'll have a garage to work in.....

Merddin

View attachment 728673The yard at the rental property has been neglected. I will need a bailer to get thru that mess. Or just a Honda bagger. Last week I was overloaded with top soil on the trailer. This week it is grass clippings. Now I am about 1/2 way thru and the rain has begun again. I must use the push mower. The yard is that wet the tractors get in ruts. Time to rig a deck under the M1009. View attachment 728674View attachment 728675View attachment 728676See the mud trail in the yard. We are supposed to have rain for about 3-4 more days. I am mowing between the rain drops at this point. Everything is green and my bamboo has grown 4 ft in less then a week. The horror is unloading the grass from the trailer. The field is to wet to use the loader so I will just have to unload it by hand with the fork. Nice. But yes I was stuck in the house briefly during a down pour. Have a Great Day
WAY off topic but,
Each blade of grass contains nutrients, (nitrogen, phosphourus, potassium, etc) and these are derived from your soil. If you remove grass clippings from your property, then the nutrients are removed from the area as well. Over time this depletes your soil. Usually grass clippings break down in a few days. You could compost them or better yet just let it remain and return it's nutrients back Into your yard. Look up the Nitrogen cycle.

I have learned many things about my 1008 from the wisdom in your posts, and I wanted to return the favor. Moral of the story is moving grass clippings from. Your yard is unnecessary.

dependable

WAY off topic but,
Each blade of grass contains nutrients, (nitrogen, phosphourus, potassium, etc) and these are derived from your soil. If you remove grass clippings from your property, then the nutrients are removed from the area as well. Over time this depletes your soil. Usually grass clippings break down in a few days. You could compost them or better yet just let it remain and return it's nutrients back Into your yard. Look up the Nitrogen cycle.

I have learned many things about my 1008 from the wisdom in your posts, and I wanted to return the favor. Moral of the story is moving grass clippings from. Your yard is unnecessary.
I'll second this. My company mows around 100 lawns with 23HP Scag V rides. We never bag, & use mulching blades, which get sharpened every week. Every now and then a prospective customer balks when I tell them we do not catch & bag. Let them hire someone else, my crew makes me much more money moving fast, and our lawns look great.

dougco1

View attachment 728673The yard at the rental property has been neglected. I will need a bailer to get thru that mess. Or just a Honda bagger. Last week I was overloaded with top soil on the trailer. This week it is grass clippings. Now I am about 1/2 way thru and the rain has begun again. I must use the push mower. The yard is that wet the tractors get in ruts. Time to rig a deck under the M1009. View attachment 728674View attachment 728675View attachment 728676See the mud trail in the yard. We are supposed to have rain for about 3-4 more days. I am mowing between the rain drops at this point. Everything is green and my bamboo has grown 4 ft in less then a week. The horror is unloading the grass from the trailer. The field is to wet to use the loader so I will just have to unload it by hand with the fork. Nice. But yes I was stuck in the house briefly during a down pour. Have a Great Day
The Crown of Thorns looks lonely. Time to find it a new companion.

MarcusOReallyus

....We never bag, & use mulching blades, which get sharpened every week.
There's the key. I watched a local 'tree' company doing ROW on my street. The guy had three men up on his chipper trying to force a small cedar tree into it. The struggled and shoved and fought and I could see and hear that his blades were duller than a butterknife.

I have to wonder how much extra he pays out in labor hours each month because he's too stupid/cheap to sharpen his blades. Certainly a lot more than the cost of sharpening a set of blades.

If it cuts, it needs to be sharp. The time & money spent on sharpening is paid back tenfold in reduced labor and equipment costs.

rsh4364

If it had 4" less lift, a turbo, OD transmission and rear disc brakes I would say that it is worth 14k. But only after a compression test and a long test drive.

Merddin

I got my pink 1008 for under 3k. 57000 miles. Forest service had it painted red and now it is pink. Soon to be OD again. Original wiring and most everything else. I am in Missouri, so m1008's could be more plentiful.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks