• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Looking for some transmission advice for m1008

mattm257

Having issues with my transmission. have a 84 m1008 that now has about 45k on it, got it 3 years ago with 22K. When out plowing for 2-3 hours reverse will only engage at high rpms (slipping). It only does it when the truck has been plowing for several hours straight, no other issues in any gear. Fluid level is good, its been 2 years since a filter change for the transmission. After the truck cools it is back to shifting fine, actually the truck shifts great unless it has been plowing. I think the reverse bands are getting weak when the fluid is hot not enough resistance but was thinking about plugging the "cooler" lines because I think the diesel is heating the trans fluid. If plugging the lines helps then I would add a external cooler. Any advice on this would be greatly appreciated.

its getting hot.... and heat will destroy the transmission... best bet will be adding an extra cooler, INLINE with the existing system... ( on the return side of radiator... redirect it into another cooler... than back to transmission...) try to get the largest one you can fit, in front of radiator. Also try adding a deeper pan... as this, and pan will hold more fluid and will help keep trans temp down.... Probably wouldnt hurt to add a Trans temp gauge, as so you can keep a better eye on temp.... ideally, you dont want to run it or push it hard, while its hot like that... Just my.02....

planefixer

ya i second that i added a trans temp b&m trans cooler and an external filter but its on my colorado also if you mount an ex filter for add cooling there are fins you can add to it

mattm257

I changed filter fluids, checked all vacuum lines, all seem good but did find low vacuum at the modulator valve about 6-8 inches. Good vacuum at pump just drops off trans side of vacuum valve, valve is adjusted all the way open. Could low vacuum be causing reverse to not engage when trans is hot? thanks, I have another th400 to swap out but when trans is warm (not plowing) it shifts great.

Skinny

Not sure if the TH400 has a band adjustment but double check. Everyone mentioned all the key points. Don't smoke your trans by waiting it out. Sounds like it is salvageable.

mattm257

I put a massive cooler and temp gauge in still when it gets to 160 reverse does not engage unless high rpm. Swapped trans yesterday for a used/rebuilt HD with around 20k on it. When I took mine out found it had been replaced some point in its service history. Interesting they replaced the original HD stamped one with a non HD stamped one.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks