• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Looking for Thread on M1008 front lift using 5 ton springs..

goldneagle

I remember reading a thread about lifting front end of M1008 using 2 leaf springs from 5 ton truck.. I did not find it in my search. Does anyone have a link to it? I finally got the springs from the scrapper in Jeff's yard along with other goodies.

Thinking of doing the lift on my M1008 so I can put the HMMWV tires on the front of my truck.

wheelspinner

Steel Soldiers Supporter
5 ton springs in a 1008? There is probably a good reason there appears to be no threads on it. Just my opinion but here is no where near enough weight on that truck to safely use those. Sell those and buy the right lift springs.

goldneagle

5 ton springs in a 1008? There is probably a good reason there appears to be no threads on it. Just my opinion but here is no where near enough weight on that truck to safely use those. Sell those and buy the right lift springs.
Since i read the thread on here it means it does exist. It's just hard to find it using the search function. I hope DH can help. He seams to know the right search phrase to find stuff.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I don't recall the thread and I did not find one.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Perhaps it was one of the guys that use 52" springs from the rear of the truck. I've read lots of threads in my years but I don't recall anything like that. I would think they might work if you swap in an NHC250.

goldneagle

GE, I used Google and could not find a thread either.
I remember that the thread had pictures included showing the springs installed. The member stated he used 2 leafs from the front springs of a M818 5 ton under the existing spring pack to raise the front on his M1008 so he could use HMMWV tires and rims on his CUCV. I'ts been a few months since I saw the thread.

Maybe someone else will chime in with a link.

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I looked also and didn't find it (or remember seeing it). I would think 5 ton springs would be way wide for a CUCV.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
There is one from 2012 (I looked with info from your latest post) about sagging 1008 front springs. No M818 though.

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The springs do look the same width, but I would think the ride would be terrible regardless of what he says....

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I give credit to anyone who can improvise a lift suitable to their means and needs as long as it's safe. I don't see a safety issue with the added leafs on this guys truck. I will say though, the 73-87 Chevy is probably one of the least costly, factory engineered lift springs you can buy.

goldneagle

I give credit to anyone who can improvise a lift suitable to their means and needs as long as it's safe. I don't see a safety issue with the added leafs on this guys truck. I will say though, the 73-87 Chevy is probably one of the least costly, factory engineered lift springs you can buy.
I got the leafs for almost scrap value from the scrapper that is parting a lot of M939 trucks at Jeff's yard. I will measure them soon to see if they will work under the truck.

I used the overload spring from a K3500 and cut it down with a waterjet to the same length as the existing one, zero rates and a bunch of the shims used between springs on many GM trucks (but not ours) and ended up with almost 4". I also added the 3-leaf medium duty helper spring (instead of the single leaf ours use) also cut down to cope with a heavy camper. The spring pack is the HD one from the A2/A3 conversion (9 +1) and is new.

Attachments

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks