• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Looking to buy a deuce!

greenjeepster

I thought M35's were set up like MACK Diffs. The peanuts in a MACK Diff. work like a governor, and lock at low speed, unlock at high speed.
If it is then it locks front tandem and rear tandem together, not side to side. With a Mack at low speeds the front tandem will spin on one side and the rear will spin on the opposite side; so you have power to both sides of the truck, but only one axle each.

M35Brown

Thanks Greenjeepster for correcting me, I remember the peanuts that lock, and was thinking it was side to side, but now I remember it was front and rear.

plutonium233

Thanks for the information guys. I think I may have found a good deuce around here. I called the guy today and we talked about a lot of the things I asked about. I think I am going to forego the lockers. This guy said that he has an offroad park and has put his deuce to the test, he said that for what I want to do with it its not worth the money. He said that my money might be better spent with a winch. Like I said before, I'm not planning on being too extreme offroad so I think I will be fine without them.

orren

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have a reconditioned M36A2C W/W, long wheelbase for sale with many extras.

Let me know if you are interested. I'm located just east of Tallahassee, FL if you would like to come take a look.

Thanks,
Orren

Attachments

plutonium233

I think I'm gonna see about buying this one that's closer if its in good shap. If not though, I will be sure to let you know.

Thanks!

greenjeepster

Where you intend to drive it, lockers will be a waste of money. And they are NOT cheap. Also, as said, the deuce engine doesn't have enough HP to turn 6 wheels.

A good way to think about lockers on a deuce rather than comparing to a much stronger, heavier truck is to compare to an actual trail rig.

Take your run of the mill Jeep as an example: Lets not even consider that usually if somebody is building a trail rig out of a jeep that they will usually drop a V8 in it to increase power and torque.

So lets say that you take a 4x4 with a 4.0 L in it and add lockers. The stock 4.0 puts out 247 hp and 240 FT-LBs.

Now compare to putting the same locker into a truck that weighs over 4 times more and has 10 wheels on the ground instead of 4. The HP is less and the torque slightly more than a stock jeep, but the 65 LB increase is far outweighed by the weight of the truck.

jeeper01

As you guys can see I am also new to the forum, I have recently started my endless research on how to find a "good" M35A and how to keep it on the road.

Sorry if it seems I am hi-jacking the thread but what would you guys consider the most important things to look for when trying to purchase a deuce?

Thanks!

greenjeepster

I have seen some of the trucks that some people on here drag home. I think for many of us the most important thing is that it kinda sorta is recognizable as an M35A:p

Keeping it running is the easy part, you just continue to buy donor trucks.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks