• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Looking to do a 3-way

bshupe

.... lighting circuit that is.

Anyone here ever wired up a 3-way lighting circuit in DC? I would like to control some lights in the back of the truck by a switch in the cab and one in the back with the ability to turn the lights on or off from either end.

Thanks!

PS. Sorry to anyone who was let down by the content of this thread. :shock:

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
3 way

I'd help you out, but there is no way I'm going to "Mount Vernon".

The M1010 has a three way in it. A toggle at the back door and one under the ac which can be reached from the cab.

I'll check TM's for 1010 schematic but it's time to google "3 way" switch.

TexMc

Ok let me qualify I am not an eletrictian just a factory service tech for an air conditioning company. But from a logical stand point an ac and dc 3 way would be the same. However the light would need NOT be grounded locally as in to the body or the like. Use a standard AC 3way circuit but instead of neutral wire use the ground in its place. Should work. I will try to post a schematic for you. But I am on my cell phone tending fire at a B B Que cook off so might have to wait till I her home.

bshupe

I'd help you out, but there is no way I'm going to "Mount Vernon".

The M1010 has a three way in it. A toggle at the back door and one under the ac which can be reached from the cab.

I'll check TM's for 1010 schematic but it's time to google "3 way" switch.

I Google'd 3-way and almost lost my internet privileges for the evening.

Seriously though, I spent a long time looking and came up empty so thats why I posted the question here.

Thanks for your help!

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The search

I checked for schematics by googling

"how to wire a 3 way switch 12 volt" I added CUCV but that didn't help. It's a tough search.

Then I hit images on the left side which led me to DPDT then SPDT switches
then back to a 3 way then grabbed a beer

and found a couple cool sites with the first having a logical schematic.

12v 3 way switch, mnw001

It means running extra wire between 2 on/on (SPDT i'm guessing) switches so they can be on or off in either position.

My recently acquired knowledge tells me that they have been called 2 way...or 3 way switches as in the following link

How light switches work? - All About Circuits Forum

I always carry a fire extinguisher when I take my advice.

M1031CMT

I don't have a schematic, but we installed a 3-way switch setup in the M109. It lets us turn on/off the exterior lights we mounted all around the box. One switch is on the dash and the other is in the box. Not very difficult, but you have to run a couple more wires to make it work.

Works the same way as for AC, but with DC you have the truck as a ground, so you don't have to run ground wires all over the place.

Edit: Here is a link to a little animation that might explain things better (Though we installed the switches on the positive side of the circuit because it is DC): http://www.rkm.com.au/animations/animation-three-way-switch.html

Last edited:

bshupe

Is this FFM or MFM?

But electrically it is the same as ac. In ac you have a hot and neutral and in dc you just have a hot and ground .

I think the main problem is that when you want to do a 3-way AC you go to Home Depot and buy two switches. When you want to do it DC you have to make it up on our own.

At this point I am just going to have to deal with not being able to turn the lights on/off from either end and just be happy with being able to turn them on at one location or the other and just have to turn it off at the same location.

Below is the schematic I came up with to git er done. The reason for the second relay is that one of the control inputs is the reverse lights on the truck which has a backing alarm so I dont want to backfeed that circuit when energizing the lights manually.

Thanks for all the offers.... er, input on this one.

Attachments