• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Looking to get an m816 wrecker in the future

adv789

Hey Guys, looking for a little advice. I really want to get an m816, now im still getting my finances straighted out for this. but i was wondering a few things. the first thing is... why are all the m816's over on the east coast or eastern part of the US? Two... is it worth my time to look at GL for the truck, i know that alot of people has had problems with them. but in the long run i "might" save a few bucks, and im always up for a road trip however i have never bought anything from GL. on the other hand i will also look at a private dealer/seller. i just need to know where a few of them are. by the way i am in north idaho. another question... who els has or had an m816, is there any pro's or con's about it? i will post more questions as i think of them. im just in the research stage right now, and getting a feel for what im getting my self into. and i appologies if i have posted this in the wrong section.

Let me know what you guys think

thanks
Ryan :)

Desert Deuce

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Pros: Kinda handy &, a very cool machine.
Cons: None I can think of except Don't Break It, kinda expensive to fix....No I haven't broken mine. This truck does need care and feeding.

Buy one in good condition with every thing working. Seems like the prices on GL have come down quite a bit in the last few years.

Bought mine from GL, from the photos only. (ad said: drove onto lot) I drove mine home 2000 miles from Little Falls, MN to Phoenix. Truck was gone through in a diesel shop in Little Falls, fluids changed and any repairs done. They also went to the base and picked it up for me. All I had to do was fly in and drive it home.

As a side note, landed in Mn the same day the I-35 bridge fell down, was supposed to drive across it the next day.

Took 4 full days to drive it home. 55 MPH all the way.

The way I buy from GL is; study the pictures and hope. Some will say my strategy doesn't make sense, that's fine, its worked for me. If you don't know what you're looking at, post a question and ask if someone can do a preview for you. There are plenty of wrecker owners who will be happy to help you, including me.

Good luck.

Attachments

jimmcld

They are great trucks. Cons: everything on it is heavy. It's a chore just to put one of the snatch blocks back up on the truck, and pulling one of the 3/4" chains up on the truck can seem like a 30 min. workout. Pros: they are handy to lift almost anything, and they get lots of attention in a parade.

adv789

Thanks guys, i really apreciate the great hospitality i get from this site. iv thought of a few more questions. 1st. when a truck on GL says, "wont start, unknown running condition" is that just there way of saying needs batteries, some fuilds and it will probably start? the other, is what is alot of miles or hours for one of these trucks?

Thanks agian

Ryan

bulldog_mack13

3/3 ACR
Wont Start unknown running condition could be a crap shoot. It could mean they didnt even try to start the truck or copy and paste the same thing on all the ads. Ive seen that. Some times you can call the yard and ask over the phone about the truck, ive done that too and somtimes its helpfull , they can tell you a little more. Then some dont want to say hello on the phone.

There are alot more bases out this way in the US as you can tell by surplus of trucks and the prices are alot less. M816's in Richmond went for around 7K for a nice running truck with most of its equipment and LED signals and new tranny.

Heavysteven

Desertdeuce, that is a nice truck.

I found buying from the photos off GL is luck, I was lucky my self, and i would not even consider buying a truck that size with out previewing.

I can't imgane working on a truck that size. I can barely lift the brake drum and hub off my duece. Had to just a rolling jack to put it back on.

Good Luck

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome to SS from a former north ID boy.

TexAndy just bought one the other day from a GSA auction. I think I'd trust GL a little more just because I've had good luck with them (your mileage may vary).

East Coast would probably be easier and closer than south TX though.

Last edited:

area52

Here is my .02 cents:

I bought my 816 off of GL in Barstow CA without looking at it. I plan on starting a business so I justified spending the money.

I got lucky in one way because it has a Jacobs Brake system on it. I had a tow company get it off base and down to 100dollarmans place in Lucerne Valley for a while til I could arrange a truck to get it back to NM. It did not run when I got it due to several pieces in the fuel lines were missing, but it did have a bunch of goodies in the toolboxes. I spent maybe $300 in parts/batteries to get it running and am currently going through it to see if anything else needs fixing.

They are kinda hard to find out west on GL and the dealers usually want a bit more.

Good luck.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Having been through the GL experience and the 816 experience let me give you my insight.

I bought mine out of Camp Shelby, MS......I knew it was a residue truck that had been awaiting rebuild at the facility they have there. For the price I paid I expected the worse and I was not disappointed.

It was the only truck I ever bought from GL that had a bad engine and of course I had a yard full of multi-fuels but not one Cummins to my name.

The first deposit into the money pit was 1500 bucks to get it hauled to my shop.

Then I traded an MKT for a running Cummins engine (thanks Papa Bear).

Another deposit into the green hole was the cost of the engine transplant....prob another grand.

About the time I got her running good the new engine ran away and self destructed.

This was after I spent money on a farm tag and insurance (farm policy with Progressive).

I spent another couple hundred bucks on repair parts that I never used since I could not find a mechanic that would come to my place and work on the beast.

I ended up selling it and breaking almost even since the crane is worth about 5 grand to someone that wants it.

I sold it to a wrecker service and they repaired and modified it.....it is now earning it's keep.

I actually used it one time to pick up some engines.

I drove it a total of around 200 miles.

I had a CDL already so that was not an issue but can be depending on what state you are in...they weigh over 30 grand empty.

They are an amazing piece of equipment and if I had the money I would buy another one....but since my income has dropped considerably it will prob never happen again.

If you have the disposable income and want the cool factor I would say go for it.

You will prob never make it pay for itself unless you have a commercial use for it.

On buying from GL.......I have not seen too many wreckers near me go for less than 8 grand....I do have a buddy that has a real clean one with a butt load of accessories for 10 grand....it is cherry.

If you buy from a dealer expect to pay 12 grand and up.

If you can't inspect personally have someone check it out for you even if you have to pay them.

That is a big investment to hope for the best on.

Just my experience for what it is worth.

adv789

Hey guys, i just want to say thanks again for all the great info! i think im going to keep my eye out for one while i get my finances in order to get one. i know i will never be able make the money back im going to spend on it. but just having it for the little odd jobs everyone runs into will make it totally worth it. not to minchen the cool factor :beer:, its probably not going to happen until late this year, early next year. so until then im just going to keep asking questions and looking around.

If anybody still has some inputs or 2 cents they want to share with me, please do, it is very welcomed.

Thanks again everyone, this is great. and if anybody has pictures of there M816 please post them, id like to look at them.

Ryan

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks