• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Looks like a tank to me.

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That would be a M88 Hercules Recovery Vehicle. Very large, very useful. It also looks like an early model. If it is worth anything, it will be hauled down to Anniston for conversion into a more modern M88A2 Hercules, with new engine, tranny, etc. If it's not worth it, it will be hauled out to a range and pummeled with arty and high-velocity DU penetrators for the next 30 years until it's a pile of small steel pieces.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
The M88 Hercules is a full-tracked, armored vehicle that was the Army's primary heavy equipment recovery, combat utility lift, and evacuation system beginning in the Vietnam era. The M-88A1 was introduced to the Army and the Marine Corps in 1977. The M88A2 Hercules uses the M88A1 chassis but significantly improves towing, winching, lifting, and braking characteristics. The Hercules is the primary recovery support for the Abrams tank fleet, the heavy Assault Bridge, and heavy self-propelled artillery.
The M88 Hercules is equipped with a 70-ton main winch, 35-ton hoist boom, and a 1,050 horsepower engine.

One fill up with fuel would break the bank.....and fuel milage is prob not very good.

That being said......if i ever hit the big lotto..............

chaplain

A little off topic. but an exact m-820 is in my area gl auction. I thought that was it and was looking foreward to see some armor at the preview. what makes it strange is that the M-820 i am looking at is exactly the same color and has the same tailgate as the one shown. My question is how does that tailgate work, has anyone seen it. I have used lots of lifts in my day but that one looks different. is it a ramp or a heavy lift or a folding stair case? Will the rear doors be different on that truck? I hope you don't consider this a stolen blog but thanks for the insight.

blackwater1

m88

That would be a M88 Hercules Recovery Vehicle. Very large, very useful. It also looks like an early model. If it is worth anything, it will be hauled down to Anniston for conversion into a more modern M88A2 Hercules, with new engine, tranny, etc. If it's not worth it, it will be hauled out to a range and pummeled with arty and high-velocity DU penetrators for the next 30 years until it's a pile of small steel pieces.

The m88 nor the m88a1 cannot be converted to the newer m88a2. They are not the same. The m88a2 is a much bigger arv. It weights 70 ton the m88 weighs 56tons and is considered a medium recovery vehicle --- lol. In Nam it would take 2 m88 to lift an m48 or m60 to put the tank on a lowboy. Ben there and done that. In order to do a heavy lift the blade is rotated all the way till it is completly under the front part of the track. So as to take the suspension out of the lift. The M88 had a cont. V12 aircooled diesel engine with an A/C 2 speed automatic transmission ---- the same engine and trans used them the M48A2C and the M60 tanks. The fuel mileage was about 2 miles per gal. The M88 was said to be able to push 1 tank and pull 2 at one time --- never seen that and I doubt it could do it, But have seen the M88 pull 2 disabled tanks over rough terain at the same time. :roll:

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The m88 nor the m88a1 cannot be converted to the newer m88a2. They are not the same. The m88a2 is a much bigger arv.
Really? Do tell.

"The M88A2 HERCULES Hercules [Heavy Equipment Recovery Combat Utility Lift and Evacuation System], formerly the M88A1E1 Improved Recovery Vehicle, addresses a long-standing US Army need to upgrade its recovery vehicles to safely tow and recover battle-damaged, mired or inoperative Abrams tanks. The HERCULES, using M88A1 hulls, modified to specification by Anniston Army Depot, upgrades the basic M88 chassis to meet the increased demands of towing, winching, and lifting the M1, M1A1, and M1A2 tank."

M88 Hercules Recovery Vehicle

"The Hercules M88A1 to M88A2 conversion is a PM Hercules directed program where work is divided between UD and Anniston Army Depot (ANAD) to accomplish the conversion to the M88A2 Hercules Improved Recovery Vehicle."

coolnick73

I am always amazed by what some people notice on these pictures. The funny thing is that I had looked at the truck before but didn't notice anything. I guess I don't pay attention to detail. :wink:

blackwater1

m88

Really? Do tell.

"The M88A2 HERCULES Hercules [Heavy Equipment Recovery Combat Utility Lift and Evacuation System], formerly the M88A1E1 Improved Recovery Vehicle, addresses a long-standing US Army need to upgrade its recovery vehicles to safely tow and recover battle-damaged, mired or inoperative Abrams tanks. The HERCULES, using M88A1 hulls, modified to specification by Anniston Army Depot, upgrades the basic M88 chassis to meet the increased demands of towing, winching, and lifting the M1, M1A1, and M1A2 tank."

M88 Hercules Recovery Vehicle

"The Hercules M88A1 to M88A2 conversion is a PM Hercules directed program where work is divided between UD and Anniston Army Depot (ANAD) to accomplish the conversion to the M88A2 Hercules Improved Recovery Vehicle."
I see what you are saying maddawg -- my statement was based on the size of the two units----The M88A2 is slightly larger than its predecessors (8.6 x 3.7 x 3.2 m compared to 8.3 x 3.4 x 3.2 m)----looks like they are putting a new undercarrage, new engine ect ect and just using the old hulls. I stand corrected. :roll:

frodobaggins

A little off topic. but an exact m-820 is in my area gl auction. I thought that was it and was looking foreward to see some armor at the preview. what makes it strange is that the M-820 i am looking at is exactly the same color and has the same tailgate as the one shown. My question is how does that tailgate work, has anyone seen it. I have used lots of lifts in my day but that one looks different. is it a ramp or a heavy lift or a folding stair case? Will the rear doors be different on that truck? I hope you don't consider this a stolen blog but thanks for the insight.
Talk to goldeneagle. He has the lift gate on his.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks