• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Looks like a tank to me.

Sundance

I plan on calling GL tomorrow just to see what they say about it.
Assuming they even know its there.
Also wonder if they'll even answer the phones with the big deuce recall.

bigflew

what would a m88A1 go for on GL? I realy could use one to get my m1009 home if I had a problem or to just crush the s*#% out of it when it breaks.
drove one for 3 years in army. You guys think it costs a lot to keep a duece running this would be crazy expensive.
BUT I STILL WANT IT.:twisted:

area52

I remember a year or so back on here someone saying that they knew of one in public hands. Last year when I was traveling through Maryland, I passed one on the back of a flatbed. Stopped at the rest stop and the trucker stopped also. I drooled over it for a few minutes!!:-D

Sundance

Talked to Scott at Camp Dodge about the M88. He doesn't believe it will be offered for sale (no surprise).:-(

He thought it and several M1's sitting in the yard will be taken to long term storage. I think he said in Sierra.

He added no guarantees on that since he only knows for sure when he gets his weekly list of items to offer.

So I guess there's still a snowballs chance...........:deadhorse:

dittle

I've got some pictures of that M88 and the said M1s from when I helped recover a couple of deuces from Camp Dodge at the beginning of the year. Now if I can only find them.

NEIOWA

I can't believe would come clear from Ohio to Iowa for a duece and a half.

Dodge is kind of interesting in the variety of vehicles you'll see in a pretty casual/open environment and tiny post. Reason is that, uniquely, is the DA "National Maintenance Training Center". Troops from all over CONUS (at least) come to Iowa for maint. training. So they have a couple of EVERYTHING. Very new to very obsolete.

National Maintenance Training Center

atankersdad

In Memorial
In Memorial
I can't believe would come clear from Ohio to Iowa for a duece and a half.

Dodge is kind of interesting in the variety of vehicles you'll see in a pretty casual/open environment and tiny post. Reason is that, uniquely, is the DA "National Maintenance Training Center". Troops from all over CONUS (at least) come to Iowa for maint. training. So they have a couple of EVERYTHING. Very new to very obsolete.

National Maintenance Training Center

I went there from Md and got 4. Now i spent 2 days out there looking over 200 deuces to get my 4 and they were worth every penny . I regret not getting 2 more now...

Bobert

someone preview it!
There are 2 or 3 of those m88s out there, I didnt think to take a picture of them. They keep alot of neat stuff in the same lot. I've seen a couple new high speed jcb backhoes, and those unimogs with the bucket on the front a while ago. Now there is a bunch of new stuff all mixed together.

We asked the guy out there about buying a m113 from there and he sad something like, not unless you want to go to jail.
Maybe next time I will take pictures of the neat stuff.

Attachments

Last edited:

Pasaway

We (2/5)had one with us at Fortsill, and with us at CampCasey(1/15). I'm not a mechanic so I never had the pleasure to operate either but they were soo interesting to watch.

In korea once, I watched it distroying a road because of it's size. They made the driver park on this little road and you could see the cracks forming as it moved. It sat there about 6 hours during through the night while we did firemissions, and in the morning there was a very nice reverse plateau in the road that wasn't there before.

The M88 was said to be able to push 1 tank and pull 2 at one time --- never seen that and I doubt it could do it, But have seen the M88 pull 2 disabled tanks over rough terain at the same time. :roll:
As to it's power I got to witness that a couple times. We had a support hemit park next to us (fortsill) for the night. in the morning when the drivers woke up , the Hemit had sank till the ground was keeping the passenger door closed and about 2 inches from the bottom of the drivers door. There was some nasty mudd and rain during those field menuvers. We brought in a M992 to pull them out. Now the M992 is not a wrecker, but it's got loads of traction with nice tracks and it's use to carrying a heavy load of Artillery ammo and it's got a decent strong drivetrain. on top of that, we had three within shouting distance. We hooked up the 992 and watched it dig a 2 foot trench pretty quickly. Then we brought in a second 992, and hooked them up in series, and got 2 trenches for our effort. about the time we finally got both 992s out, the M88 was finally arriving (I think one of the Mechanics told me once that it had a top speed some where near 20mph). Once we got it hooked up , it popped the Hemit loose with no effort at all. I was always impressed with that machine.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks