• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Looks like cracks in my flywheel!

Bill W

Surface cracks are the norm for flywheels, take it to the machine shop and get their opinion on if getting it resurfaced it will take them out.

Mister Sunday

Surface cracks are the norm for flywheels, take it to the machine shop and get their opinion on if getting it resurfaced it will take them out.
I planned on taking it to the machine shop Monday and asking them their opinion. Meanwhile, I was also contemplating taking the whole flywheel, clutch, and pressure plate off of the original deuce engine and putting it on the transplant.

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
a word of advice. with metallic pad disks, you cannot mix and match components. if the flywheel is resurfaced you will need a new disk and a new pressure plate. if it is not all smooth, there will be greatly reduced friction area and it will slip, putting you back to the starting point.

Dodge man

Ditto. Shallow surface cracks are common in flywheels. If you're not turning high RPM they shouldn't hurt it. However deep cracks are another matter. You can also take it out and tap it with a hammer. it should ring like bell. If you get thud sound then it has a serious crack. Take it and have it magnufluxed if it's questionable.

Mister Sunday

Brake rotors do this all the time too, looks normal to me.
If you are just talking about the discoloration, then yes. But I'm bringing attention to the radial cracks across the friction surface that you can just see when you blow up the picture. I ran my thumbnail across them and hung on them. Anyway, it's going to the automotive machinist this week and I'll get their opinion.

Last edited:

M-1028

If you are just talking about the discoloration, then yes. But I'm bringing attention to the radial cracks across the friction surface that you can just see when you blow up the picture. I ran my thumbnail across them and hung on them. Anyway, it's going to the automotive machinist this week and I'll get their opinion.
I was talking about the cracks. Just check out a vehicle with around 100K on the brakes most likely will have similar cracks.