• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Loose Front Hub HELP!!

custm86

Ok, so first of all I wanna say thanks to everyone on this site for all the help and advice. It's come in very handy.

This is the new issue.......I noticed some grease on my front wheels. Upon further inspection I found the Locking hubs to be slightly loose and grease around the hub. The steering also felt very loose. Seemed to pull very hard to whatever side the wheel was turned.

I've never dove into axle work before. What does the problem sound like?? any suggestions on what to start tearing apart and checking out/replacing?

The truck is now in the garage till problem is fixed. Better safe then put someone else in danger too. I love this truck. Being my first military vehicle, I'm hooked.

Thanks again for all the help!!!! Will post pics of truck build this weekend.

rnd-motorsports

:ditto: If you have never done a hub rebuild or check! Would be better to take to a shop that knows what to look for and what will need replaced. Really allot to look for or at if you have never done it. If it was just a clean and repack then would not be bad for a first timer but if you have what yours sounds like may be better to leave to a pro. Sounds like maybe you have a bearing problem maybe a lockout as well !

Westech

CPL
I am not trying to come off as Harsh, but you are asking a very simple question. If you need to post a question on a loose wheel it makes it very clear that you have little to no Auto repair ability. I am all for someone getting the TM or a Civy Chilton Repair manual and taking things step by step but we are not a Automotive repair site. That caliber of question is better suited to "Yahoo answers" or something like that.
If you want to do the fix your self start by taking the hub apart and taking a look not posting "hey what could it be".
For all I know (not seeing the truck) it could be a loose lug nut, bad tire, bad Tie rod end, bad O ring on the hub, ect ect ect....
The point I am trying to make is do a little for your self first.

Last edited:

custm86

I'm definately not afraid to tear into it. I've already done a ton mechanically to the truck. just finished changing the universal joints on driveshaft.

rnd-motorsports

If your not afraid to tear into it then you can save some money! as stated get a Manuel or the TM and take it slow and take it apart. will be a a bit more of a messy job but nothing with the TM or Manuel you cant do if your not afraid to dive in and have the tools. Snap ring pliers and a hub nut socket,If you do not have one may be able to rent one from you local parts store or buy one about 20 / 30 bucks, Can be done without but I would recommend you have one! If you run into a problem a pic and we are here. like larry says GET-R-DONE!

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Has anyone here actually disassembled an 09 from the spindle out?

I have.

It's not exactly the same as a regular Chevy front hub. There is an additional snap ring that you can't see AND a locking key-way and key that if you do not remove it properly you will screw it up. I worked very slowly, cleaned the inner hub of ALL axle grease and with a bright light spotted and removed the ring and then finally found the locking key way and key.

If you try and force the inner nut without removing the key, you might have to replace the spindle. So be aware.

If you have any problems, let me know.

I'm waiting for the weather to warm up a touch. I'm getting ready to do the front brakes on my other 09. Cost for the parts were $160. I already had brake cleaner and axle grease from the last front brake rebuild.

Should take about two hours per side and I'm really slow, old and I take lots of breaks. but it's an easy job. Just take your time and pay attention to what you are doing.

hope that helps.

custm86

Thank you so much for your responses. I'll be diving in this Sunday. Things like the heads up on the snap ring will go a long way!!! I'll keep you all informed.

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
OK, perhaps a minor clarification.

Snap ring implies you can open it with the correct pliers.

not so

thing more like a complete circular metal spring ring. You have to carefully pry it out. When you get to a point where you can't take the outer wheel bearing off (I think that was it), carefully wipe off all the hub lube and take a bright flashlight and look for a thin ring.

THAT has to be pried out and then put back in when you are done.

The key way and key are as I described.

Barrman

The ring in the picture is a royal pain to get out the first time. The second and third time to actually. Screwdrivers and pliers will basically never get it out.

I got a set like this:
Amazon.com: Mayhew 60000 Dominator Hook and Pick Set, 4-Piece: Home Improvement

Just a Snap-On version as a door prize. That ring trembles in fear now because it isn't even something I think about before pulling the bearings out. A set like the one linked to is usefull pulling the glow plug card out of the holder too.

Marlboro

Exactly right Barrman, Tools borrowed from your local dentist will take that lock ring right out.

A buddy and I were at Habor Freight and he laughed when i bought a set of those, Only until another buddy broke down some time later out in the woods... I had the hub out in 30 seconds 5 of which was taken on the ring. He stopped laughing and later bought a set:mrgreen:

SmokeyDod

Thanks to abt 5 or 6 of you guys that were kind enough to try to help or start this guy in the correct direction. I understand that that's what this great site was started for 1) to help one another that has MV vehicles and the ones that are maybe considering getting one. 2) The other was to start "comrotoray" (if it's not spelled correct Don't worry about it) with guys with similar interests. The GREAT majority of you guys understand it's a lot easier to be a gentlemen in responding to other people that are asking nicely about something and not the be a "smart -axx".

There is no call at ALL to reply to someone if you are not trying to help. You are not obligated to have to say something that is "SA", no help, demeaning, without any kind of value to him or any of the rest of us. There is enough of that kind of replies in here and any put in by a long-timer with almost 5000 post is uncalled for. If the no. of posts is the issue you are trying to up, then every day just put in a "May God bless you" post.

This kind of post reaction keeps people away from this site and at same time keeps some good problem solving issues from being posting to which all of us will lose out on. I myself have not posted problems I have had & figured out a easy fit-just because of knowing there may be pis-poor replies.

To the person & others that have these kind of useless & SA replies, just stop and look in your mirror (I will do same) and see if this is really the way to act. I don't normally do what I just sent but everone has their limitations.

Smokey

custm86

Thank you to everyone for the replies and help. Its currently disassembled and luckily i had the aforementioned pick set to remove the ring. Reassembly will continue tomorrow. lots of brake cleaner and grease. LOL:-D
And Smokey, thanks for the reply. I just try to ignore the rude and concentrate on the genuine comments.
Thanks again guys!! Pics of the build coming soon!

custm86

So I finally found time to dive into the front axles. Turns out the front right hub has been slammed on a rock and warped enough that i cannot get the hub off. This really blows. But on a better note, the hubs looked fine and no metal shavings or grinding was apparant at all.
I just replaced the steering box also. I'm hoping this was the issue. Should have up and running by next week. Mostly due to other things being fixed also.
Thank for all the advice and help on this. I'll let you know if it fixes the issue.

custm86

Problem finally found and fixed!!! Looks like it was a combination of completely dry and seized axleshaft u-joints on both sides and the steering box. Replaced both and all steering/front suspension bushings with polyuerethane. Driving like new now!! Thanks for all your help and input! I hope this thread helps someone else with such an odd issue.:beer: