• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Loose steering?

tremmert

I have a 1987 m998 that is running well, except for a strange steering issue.

Today I was going down the road at about 45mph, when the vehicle quickly turned a couple degrees. The steering wheel is straight, but the vehicle will "wobble" left and right. It isnt a constant problem, only some times, and at different speeds. I havent noticed is below 35mph.

I have replaced the wheels and tires with civilian wheels and tires, 36x12.5x17 that are balanced and in good condition.

I noticed this issue with my original military wheels and tires also.

Any thoughts as to what might be causing this?

Mike82ndABN

There's freeplay somewhere, you need to find out where before you injure yourself or someone else.

I would be looking at everything from the steering wheel, down to the steering gear. Then from there everything from the pitman arm, to the hubs.

I would also check upper and lower balljoints for free play.

tremmert

Yes, I agree. This was a test drive to see if the aftermarket wheels/tires would solve the problem....

I am looking for more information/procedures to checking all the steering components... Do you know if these procedures were included in the service manual for the HMMWV?

dmetalmiki

that "fly right" "fly left" can be (probably was!) very disconcerting..and is usually caused by TIGHT components somewhere in your steering 'system'. CHECK for binding or Wear. IF your steering box gearing is at fault it will "remember" a position and wander from 'high' tight spot to 'high' tight spot. AND WILL be effected by the differing crown or ruts in a road. (also check partially seized track rods etc). This symptom is not usually caused by tracking and or alignment. USUALLY.
Suggested remedy? Check out and fix the first. Check out and fix the second. (parts). good luck inform us of the fix.

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Classic pitman and idler arms worn out or loose...I would check ball joints too.
to many newbies just jump in and go drive without ever checking these major components. Could end up in a real bad situation

snowtrac nome

I would check alignment, the tm spells out how to do a 4 wheel alignment. As others stated check for loose parts adjusting tie rods wont do any good if you have loose components. Excessive to in will cause issues you are talking about also in Iraq I saw a lot of hmmwv's with the rear end out of whack appears gi's now days wont read the tm's when replacing the parts.

donkren

Your steering problems sound just like mine. I found my Idler Arm was worn out and one of the tapered holes in the Center Link was worn from being run loose. I replaced both and then aligned the front end (The front was three inches out of spec! The rear was OK.) Now my truck runs arrow straight without a hint of wander. All the info you need is in the TM's. Don't quit until you are sure you have it fixed. I got mine done in a couple of afternoons for less than $200. This was the single most rewarding repair I've done to my truck.

tremmert

Thanks for all the input everyone. I just jacked up the front, and "bear hugged" the front passenger tire. It moves about 3" left and right. Looking at the linkage, is appears to be the idler arm. (I have very little knowledge when it comes to steering components...) It looks like the Center Link is lifting right out of the idler arm when I move the tire. Same thing happens when I move the drivers wheel. Here is a poor video, but you can kinda see the center link lifting out of the idler arm when I move the tire

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w5DUA7UhwnA

I can see the crown nut and cotter pin in place...

I assume this is not normal and I should replace?

86humv

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I had a pitman arm that looked good, and once I rolled under the truck to inspect things, I grabbed the center link to pull myself....pitman stayed, but center link moved an inch.
Pitman shaft was broke inside and almost pulled out.
I changed all steering parts...Idler, pitman, tie rods, and link.

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for all the input everyone. I just jacked up the front, and "bear hugged" the front passenger tire. It moves about 3" left and right. Looking at the linkage, is appears to be the idler arm. (I have very little knowledge when it comes to steering components...) It looks like the Center Link is lifting right out of the idler arm when I move the tire. Same thing happens when I move the drivers wheel. Here is a poor video, but you can kinda see the center link lifting out of the idler arm when I move the tire

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w5DUA7UhwnA

I can see the crown nut and cotter pin in place...

I assume this is not normal and I should replace?
I called that one, I should play the horses at golden gate fields.

Does that look normal to you? LOL....you need to download the TM's, All of the PMCS and troubleshooting and diag. Procedures are in there. I can't stress this enough.

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
my general experience in selling parts for a few years....in another lifetime

I would replace all components. What ever is loose will have put premature wear on the other steering linkages. Replace Pittman arm, idler arm, tie rods. Center link is supposed to be a non wear item but the holes could be elongated, stretched or the link can be bent. Inspect and/or spend a few more $ for peace of mind.

A 1987 truck will handle like a dream with all new steering probably in comparison with what you have now not to mention the severe safety hazard if a linkage goes south! Also has to be affecting tire wear.

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
my general experience in selling parts for a few years....in another lifetime

I would replace all components. What ever is loose will have put premature wear on the other steering linkages. Replace Pittman arm, idler arm, tie rods. Center link is supposed to be a non wear item but the holes could be elongated, stretched or the link can be bent. Inspect and/or spend a few more $ for peace of mind.

A 1987 truck will handle like a dream with all new steering probably in comparison with what you have now not to mention the severe safety hazard if a linkage goes south! Also has to be affecting tire wear.

Correct on the center link, it's a non wear item if maint is kept up, for the most part, but I've seen the hole ovaled out due to excessive play. I have seen the same on geared hubs due to loose castle nuts on ball joints, steering arm covers due to loose castle nuts. It's amazing how tight the front ends are when it's all refreshed.

70deuce

My 1985 also has a worn idler arm. Center link has a half inch of play at that attachment point. Anyone know if that is a common part used on earlier Surburbans or large pickups

Action

My 1985 also has a worn idler arm. Center link has a half inch of play at that attachment point. Anyone know if that is a common part used on earlier Surburbans or large pickups
Why not buy one made for your vehicle. The Urban Gorilla could use something from a suburban chassis!

1 Patriot-of-many

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just for the record, if the linkage came undone or broke at least past your steering on the left side, you won't get killed or go out of control. I was driving a tractor trailer when the steering linkage came undone on the right side, centrifugal force of the wheel and tire kept me going down the road. Nopticed some vibration, I really noticed when coming to a stop and trying to turn. Then the tire and rim start flopping around but was still able to make turns and get back to my terminal, back into a spot and call my boss, who told me how pissed he was, he had just had service done. Guess they didn't torque something good enough.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks