• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Loping idle

Finnegan1008

If my truck is in gear and warmed up my idle starts to chop. It’s a fairly consistent and rhythmic lope.

Like a brap-brap-brap-brap and it rocks the truck slightly.

The previous owner supposedly installed a very low mileage engine out of another CUCV. Other than that I have no idea what the history is.

Any idea what may be causing this? Is it something I should be concerned about? Or can I live with it?

Barrman

Try moving your idle up or down just a bit. A little change makes a big difference with all the rattle noises inside the truck.

If all your filters are newish and your Injection Pump timing is close. Then idle or the IP itself are about all that is left if you have no weird knocks or smoke of any kind.

Finnegan1008

Try moving your idle up or down just a bit. A little change makes a big difference with all the rattle noises inside the truck.

If all your filters are newish and your Injection Pump timing is close. Then idle or the IP itself are about all that is left if you have no weird knocks or smoke of any kind.
If I give it just a hair more idle from the throttle pedal it smooths out. Zero smoke

87cr250r

From your picture, I don't think that is enough bubbles to indicate a misfire causing head gasket leak.

Crack injector lines to see if you can pinpoint the misfiring cylinder. There will be no change in idle when you hit the bad one.

Finnegan1008

From your picture, I don't think that is enough bubbles to indicate a misfire causing head gasket leak.

Crack injector lines to see if you can pinpoint the misfiring cylinder. There will be no change in idle when you hit the bad one.
So if I ID a bad injector does that mean replace just the one? Or do I need a set?

87cr250r

You can replace one. They're expensive right now. 3 years ago new injectors were $25 a piece. They're closer to $50 each right now.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks