• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Losing air need Assistance

Scarecrow1

As the title said I was at The SC meet and greet last week and was told by two friends (Later) that they heard air hissing from under the hood. I am half deaf from to many years behind the wheels of a UPS truck so I had to build up the pressure and cut the power and sit beside the engine on the tire to trace down the leak. It is coming from the actuator that controls the fan on the radiator. Is this supposed to leak ? I have plenty of air and it builds up fine I just don't think it should be losing air like it is doing. Any help on this is greatly appreciated .......

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Some have had issues with those switches. I think some A3 guys have had issues too. Might want to search "radiator fan switch" and see what others have done.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It's a pain in the butt to find an air leak with a loss of hearing. I know there is one on my 813 somewhere because JW and Gimpy heard it when we changed the alternator. I can't hear it though........

:-(

Scarecrow1

Its good to have friends but, even better to have friends that save you from being stuck on the side of the road lol. I have been all over that truck after I do a shut down. I walk around the truck kick the tires and make sure all the lights are out and all power is off look for leaks and never heard a thing. Josh and Andy are the ones who heard it and told me about it. Of course my first reply was (are you sure )? Yep They were right :) Thanks guys ..........

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have bad tinnitus from many years in the Marines, first in the infantry, then flying helicopters. I always have to rely on my friends to help me find air leaks and squeaks on my trucks. I either can't hear them, or if I do, I can't tell where they are coming from.
But I am lucky because we usually rove in packs, and I can rely on my buddies to tactfully say something like "Hey, you deaf b@#$%^! You have an air leak!".

Cheers

PS - for those not familiar with tinnitus (you lucky dogs!) its not that you are deaf, its that there is so much noise going on in your head, you have to try to hear around it. In my case, imagine a vast chorus of crickets on a summers night, plus some hissing and some turbine whine, turned up LOUD, 24 hours a day!
You young 'uns - take care of your hearing!! It IS manly to wear hearing protectors!

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
It's a pain in the butt to find an air leak with a loss of hearing. I know there is one on my 813 somewhere because JW and Gimpy heard it when we changed the alternator. I can't hear it though........

:-(
Soapy water does wonderful things!

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Are you suggesting we take a long hot bath or what?

Ask Doghead.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks