• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Loss of Brakes (Air Pressure) Procedure

Dasgog

Hello

I was just thinking about what I would do or what to do correctly if the break system went out due to major air leak/no air pressure.
Would it be as simple as down shifting all the way to slow your speed or what is suggested?
I am all for preserving the very idea of what my M35A2 is but I am also choosing to drive it daily on the road and so I take into consideration; is what it has good enough?
Ideally I would like to just completely eliminate the current system and go with a more modern reliable system. Has anyone done this before either?
Any recommendations on changing it from using the air system?

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Full airbrakes with springbrakes is the safest system on the road.

Single circuit air over hydraulic is probably the least safe.

You're post comes across like you're worried about the air side. That's not where the worry is. The worry is on the hydraulic side.

There really is no good solution if you lose brakes on a deuce. Best thing you can do is begin downshifting and pick something to hit....

Loss of air (generally) comes on gradually and is accompanied with a warning. If you start losing air, simply apply the brakes and stop as normal.

If you lose the hydraulic side, the brake pedal hits the floor without applying braking force...

Every planned stop in a deuce should be initiated by downshifting as the primary mechanism of slowing. This provides the most control. Treat every application of the brake pedal as if it may fail....

Diligent monitoring of the brake system is warranted. There's value to a remote hydraulic reservoir where you can see your dot 5 level and note if it starts dropping.

Dasgog

Hello, thank you.

I guess the good news is I already do control my braking with the process of using downshifting (always that Prius who pulls right in front) so it seems my thinking was correct. I get what you mean about the air side giving me warning and can plan accordingly.
So the hydraulic portion is the concern. I purchased this deuce over a year ago and the seller did mention he installed one of those brake fluid reservoirs that mounts in the cab behind the driver seat. Upon usual inspection it is always full.
I guess really all I can do is general brake maintenance and monitor the fluid and air as you suggest.

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Perhaps a good start would be to state that the brakes on your truck are hydraulic in function, with air to assist with the pedal effort. Losing air assist does not mean you are losing the brakes. You will be limited in how hard you will be able to apply the brakes without air assist.

98G said it well - the worry is on the hydraulic side. It does not matter how much air pressure you have when brake fluid is hemorrhaging onto the road instead of moving the brake cylinder pistons.

You are a diligent Deuce owner when you realize the lack of fail-safe on single circuit hydraulic brakes and adapt how you inspect, maintain and repair your truck accordingly. Good on you.

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
remember, you have the parking brake to stop you too under a emergency.
The parking brake is a futile gesture at anything over a walking speed.

After you have dumped most of the forward momentum via other means, the parking brake will get you that last little bit from 5mph to stopped.

Prevention is the solution. As David said above - diligent maintenance will keep it from happening.

It isn't so much that this type of brake is prone to fail. The problem is that when it does fail the outcome has such a potential of badness...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks