• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Lost 3rd gear?

TechnoWeenie

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Need help. Won't shift out of first. In parking lot.

So, I parked my truck for 2 days, got back in it, and as I'm driving I noticed that it will shift from first to second but then it will stay in second until about 35 mph...

Eventually it shifts. But it seems like the third gear is completely missing it's like it's 1245.

What could have changed overnight to make that happen?

Edit: updated to 'help' thread due to being stuck.

Last edited:

TechnoWeenie

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Update: less than 30 miles later...won't shift out of first, just flares.

Fluid has about 4k miles on it. Proper level, and doesn't smell burned.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Drain the fluid, see what comes out, drop the pan and see what has been deposited.

TechnoWeenie

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'll see what I can do about getting a catch pan that holds 5 gallons. I don't think Safeway would appreciate me dumping fluid in their parking lot.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Do you have reverse? If you have limited to no power when you put it in gear I would pull your modulator cable off at the pump and pull on it. Maybe the cable broke as well. This would cause no pressure that the transmission needs to move. One of my customers took the liberty to replacing his " not moving" transmission and it ended up being the modulator cable after it didnt move with the new transmission.

Also try putting the transfer case into low range. It doesnt take much pressure to move the truck then. I blew a transmission while on the road. just quit pulling all together. Put it in low range and i was able to shift 1 thru 5 no problem. it slipped a little but would pull and was able to get it 5 miles down the interstate.

TechnoWeenie

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I appreciate your guidance.

I was able to pull the pan.

There is, what I would describe as a normal amount of gray ooze. That has been present in every transmission I have ever dropped the pan on. There's a little bit more that I'm used to seeing, but I'm also used to dealing with passenger vehicle transmissions that are pushing a 4000 pound vehicle in only hold 6 quarts, not a truck pushing 40,000 lb, and holding 17 quarts.

There was a ever so tiny pile of about 10 tiny black flakes. Smaller than an eraser head. If I had to guess, I'd say that they had been there for a while.

I'm waiting on a call back from a local Allison Guru. I also have a couple people that are local that have tow capabilities that are willing to help out.

I will pull the modulator next. Thank you for the assistance.

TechnoWeenie

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looking from the pan to where the modulator is Mountain, there is a piece of metal coming from the modulator that looks shiny as ****. In my experience, shiny metal in an environment like that, means that something is rubbing against it.

TechnoWeenie

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Having talked to the Allison guy. It seems that the modulator is fine. The next step is the governor assembly. However, I can't tell what's normal and what's not with the governor assembly. It seems to be Mighty floppy.

TechnoWeenie

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So, I replaced both the internal and external filter. I drained a hair under 5 gallons, and replaced it with Dexron 3. Got it to temp. Shifts into reverse and first just fine, but I was not having issues with that before. Did not have a chance to road-test it just yet but will give an update when I do

TechnoWeenie

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Still exhibiting the same characteristics of not wanting to up shift from 1 to 2. However, on a nice downhill slope, I switched it from first gear to 5, and once he got past 2nd gear, it engage 3rd 4th and 5th and downshifted, with a distinct absence of second gear. So, if this transmission uses a clutch for each gear, which I think it does but I could be wrong, then I'm pretty sure the second gear clutch is completely shot.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Did you try low range? It let's it build up pressure faster and will allow better gear shifts

TechnoWeenie

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Did you try low range? It let's it build up pressure faster and will allow better gear shifts
Won't shift out of high.

I remember I had a **** of a time getting into low last time I tried...

I can hear a faint click where the solenoid is but not the usual 'thunk' that you'd expect

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks