• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Lost my fuel cap.

Drock

Call it intuition,:carnac: but I'll bet this cap and some variant of this filler tube was used on some other GM vehicle, tractor, or equipment. And with the right part numbers, and/or search parameters can be cross referenced to a current off the shelf supply.

cucvrus

I have been scrapping vehicles 40 years and building busses / truck bodies for 28 years. Never seen a fuel cap like it on anything else. We are now in the age of cap less fuel tanks. So I will side with the opinion that the military CUCV diesel program is the first and last to use these fill caps. The dual alternators NO. They were and still are an available option on the new trucks. They may not be configured the same but dual alternators was a common thing on Ambulance/bus and municipal/state truck cab chassis and cutaway vans. Still to this day a new Chevrolet truck can be ordered with dual alternators. I feel you done the right thing. Converting to the civilian fuel fill ahs done NO harm and solved an issue that will never come up again. The civilian fuel cap is the same for 30+ years.

Mainsail

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Call it intuition,:carnac: but I'll bet this cap and some variant of this filler tube was used on some other GM vehicle, tractor, or equipment. And with the right part numbers, and/or search parameters can be cross referenced to a current off the shelf supply.
Alternate part numbers are: 2910011555063 made by E.C.A ETABLISSEMENT CENTRAL DESAPPROVISIONNEMENTS DES FORCES ARMEE in MOROCCO

14063326 made by GENERAL MOTORS LLC DBA GENERAL MOTORS

and 30600-A1 made by STANT MFG CO INC (phone 765-825-3122 )

Scar59

Steel Soldiers Supporter
-just go back and buy the cap back from the panhandler, I bet he has it listed on ePay........

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
-just go back and buy the cap back from the panhandler, I bet he has it listed on ePay........
Most of the stations around here throw them in a box , next time he goes by that station it would be worth checking . If nothing else he could sell it.

rodent

I should see if there is a way to machine something that would screw in like the cucv gas gap BUT has the smaller civi diesel fill hole and accepts standard gas gaps. Basically an adapter made of aluminum.

Anyone know of a machinist that wouldn't charge too much? I know one guy that I could hit up. Would probably need to do a batch of of them.

Last edited:

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
"I was just looking for help finding a replacement new or old within reason. I checked all the part numbers you provided on Stant's web site, and on Ebay, but to no avail. I suppose I could call Stant and see if I get a better answer over the phone? On a side note I find it hard to believe GM went through the trouble of making a specific cap, filler neck, and hose just for this application? It just seems like this would be an easy parts bin pull from a semi truck?"

Stant caps, all of them, 1994 and older
Hey, it is what I could find that may help

http://www.stant.com/files/2714/0979/5243/Stant_Vintage_Guide.pdf

rodent

"I was just looking for help finding a replacement new or old within reason. I checked all the part numbers you provided on Stant's web site, and on Ebay, but to no avail. I suppose I could call Stant and see if I get a better answer over the phone? On a side note I find it hard to believe GM went through the trouble of making a specific cap, filler neck, and hose just for this application? It just seems like this would be an easy parts bin pull from a semi truck?"

Stant caps, all of them, 1994 and older
Hey, it is what I could find that may help

http://www.stant.com/files/2714/0979/5243/Stant_Vintage_Guide.pdf
I'm pretty sure that those caps will not work with the CUCV. All are civilian caps.

sneekyeye

If you'd consider an adapter made custom, at that point I'd just buy the civilian filler hose and neck and be done with it. It can't be that expensive relative to custom machine work.

rodent

Can probably be done really cheap with a plastic printer using some high strength plastic. I have a buddy wanting to do it. Its more about keeping these trucks original and saving people the hassle of installing a different fuel neck due to a lost gas cap.

Drock

At this point I have fixed the problem by switching to the civilian filler tube & cap. Which works much better BTW, then the big CUCV tube. It holds the pump nozzle better so it doesn't keep shutting off, and doesn't splash back when it's full. But I am still curious about the original CUCV cap & filler? I let my A.D.D. kick in and I fell down the rabbit hole of fuel caps today on the interwebs, but still didn't find a simple solution. The inside of the tube measures just over 2-1/2" I.D. which is where the problem lies. The cap is basicly a (bolt) or a (male), and the tube is the (nut) or (female). Everything I found that size is reversed. The only avenue that is harder to find info on the internet is the aviation & European markets. So you'd almost have to ask an old airplane mechanic or Euro truck expert?

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
There's a good idea, I think.

Jack Lope

I once filled up at the truck stop beside the big rigs just because I could. Not certain, but it seemed to fill the m1008 up quicker with the bigger nozzle.

TechnoWeenie

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I once filled up at the truck stop beside the big rigs just because I could. Not certain, but it seemed to fill the m1008 up quicker with the bigger nozzle.
High flow pumps. Normal for 'big rig' pumps.

Kinda different when you gotta fill 120 gal tanks.

Even a single 80 gal tank takes ffoorreevveeerrr on a std pump.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks