• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Lost part of my finger yesterday, safety reminder

bigelk50

Guys, here are the pics of what it looks like after surgery. I got it unwrapped yesterday and I get the stitches out next Thursday.

timntrucks

Steel Soldiers Supporter
sorry Bigelk about your finger. i had the tip cut off of my left hand index finger long ago. being a long time carpenter i seen many guys missing one part or another. the old saying play with sharp tools enought and they will bite you back thing is well remembered. i hope you and your new wife congraduations on a good wedding and luck on finding another job Tim

davesgmc

glad to see your healing up well.

on a side note, the no insurance thing. Call he hospital and all the people sending the bills, explain your situation, see if there is a cheaper way to bill it out. I had a son that had an accident with a bb gun and had one lodged in his knee, after 5 hours in the er, they finally got it out, no infection afterwards so he was lucky. But the bill 2 weeks later was $3000!!! I called several people and got it reduced to $580, went that same day and paid cash,,,,done. Its worth a try.

and now to the joking part,,,loosing a ring finger just before you are to ge married??? is that a sign?

JUST KIDDING!

bigelk50

Davesgmc Ha yeah everyone has been telling me its a sign! I hope its not!!;-) I have called everyone involved in the billings for this and they are letting me lay in limbo on this until I find out if I got accepted to the Oregon Health Plan. If It comes to paying the bill my self the hospital said they would just about drop all charges and the surgeon would only charge me around $1500 and then give a ten percent discount for paying in cash.

davesgmc

Thats cool, there is nothing worse than out of work and a large unexpected bill comes around.

Well, there is enough finger left to get a ring on, but after it heals only, dont want to get it on there and it swells up, that sucks!

So, did you ever finish the project you were cutting the wood for? :roll:

IHASFIP

I kinda know what your going through minus the amputation. I have a plate and several screws in my shoulder front riding dirtbikes. Something happened that I couldn't avoid. Good luck in a speedy recovery.

D

Last edited:

bigelk50

Davesgmc yes I did get the wood project done! Its always the last cut that will get ya lol.

IHASFIP first off nice winch truck, I love those. Second I know all too well about dirt bike injuries. My best friend broke his femur bone near the pelvis while riding with me and On another trip with him I broke my left leg at two places below the knee. People say that I need to lake it easier, but I love to live. I think you under stand that.

rorybellows

stumpy

hahaha, dont feel bad. just adds more character. lost the tip of my lect middle finger about 15 years ago. was stumpy for about a year and a half. just makes ya be a little more cautious around power tools hopefully. keep bending it so the skin will stretch a little.

Scarecrow1

Well for sure the one thing that comes to mind is thank goodness it wasn't worse .and we all know someone who has been hurt with the use of power tools ...I have been a carpenter for far more years than I will say ....and through the grace of God I still have all my fingers and toes ...Now mind you they do have some interesting scares on them and my left thumb dosen't have a regular thumb print lol but its still there ......I do wish you a speedy recovery and , I hope you learn to over come the lose you have suffered...take care and God bless

emr

When i de gloved my left pinky a few years ago at the barn, just the spindly bone was there and some meat hanging, the funny thing was when the surgeon said i can put it back together, I said how much because of its more than 20,000 I would rather have a new boat, than my pinky hey im already 50 i said, it wont be missed that much, She the surgeon said, "REALLY" I said yes, she said it will be 19,000 I said gee thanks, ok put it on, i had to pay for that , but she did do a good job, i hope the best works out for U, always see the bright side, i try but cant find it alot, :) Good luck ,,, Oh i cut my right hand off 8;30 am august 29th 1989, man that hurt, it was reatached, and i have almost complete use of it, I was standing NEXT to the radial arm that sucked me in, I started getting ready to to make some cuts, and for a second opened the print to see some detail and my right hand was near the edge of the table and there must have been somelittle pc of something behind the fence i did not see because the table was clear, all i heardwas a loud bang and faster than a blink my right hand was on the table, it went threw the back of my hand first, and it was a very nice clean cut though, :) I grabbed it pushed it on and started screaming, direct pressure is always the best way to handle something like this, it saved mine. at a therapy session there was 3 guys who cut off fingers and parts of there hands, i walked in looked at them , could clearly see they pulled the saws accros there hands, i just saidi want everyone to know i was standing next to the saw that did this, ... they just looked at me and then away, hey it was true :) :)

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks