• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Lots of Rain in TX lately

92'M998

Hello -

I cannot recall how we kept our M 998's 4 person tarp from not becoming a swimming pool. Any tricks for this? Besides driving back and forth having it slosh over the sides, etc?

Thanks in advance. J

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
plywood sheet or hard plastic between the tarp and the bows. I'm using a sheet of 1/8" fiber reinforced plastic for mine with holes cut out wherever the straps hold it to the bows.

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm running in 2 man setup, the sheet I had was 5 feet long, then just cut to the width needed to fit from windshield to B pillar, then about 1 or 2 inches less. It's held in place by the velcro straps going through it on the support bar and the weight/friction from the top itself.

92'M998

I'm running in 2 man setup, the sheet I had was 5 feet long, then just cut to the width needed to fit from windshield to B pillar, then about 1 or 2 inches less. It's held in place by the velcro straps going through it on the support bar and the weight/friction from the top itself.
Great!! I'll fabricate one for my 4 man one. Stay safe and healthy. Thanks. J.

P.S. I also remember while in the army we would say, "hey, can you check this door" and then would back up. Wet pissed off partner. We always got even!

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
yup, not an exact science. Just anything stiff and flat that won't break if it gets a little weight on it. if using wood I'd recommend something like 1/4" plywood of a decent quality, then paint it to keep it from rotting. Bonus to adding something like this is you can attach things to it like lights or radio speakers or whatnot. Some guys do complete overhead consoles.

(this FRP plastic I'm using is impressively strong, I cut some 2" deep notches on the end and tried to use a hammer to break the material out, but hammer just bounced off of it. the fiberglass is a pain to work with though, and after using a skil saw on it I needed a shower for all the dust on my arms, i was using a full face respirator for it so eyes/lungs all good.)

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just anything stiff and flat that won't break if it gets a little weight on it. if using wood I'd recommend something like 1/4" plywood of a decent quality, then paint it to keep it from rotting.
As you get older, obtaining hard thick stiff wood that can get wet without breaking might become difficult.

1/8 Aluminum sheet, treated plywood, a central 2-3 inch PVC pipe notched to fit over the ribs all will work. Forming a custom fiberglass molded sheet with ventilation holes would be more labor intensive but also longer lasting.

92'M998

As you get older, obtaining hard thick stiff wood that can get wet without breaking might become difficult.

1/8 Aluminum sheet, treated plywood, a central 2-3 inch PVC pipe notched to fit over the ribs all will work. Forming a custom fiberglass molded sheet with ventilation holes would be more labor intensive but also longer lasting.
Another good solution. Thanks. J

Milcommoguy

Supporting Vendor

Mr. T ... What are you trying to say?? quote "As you get older, obtaining hard thick stiff wood that can get wet without breaking might become difficult."

It's a hummwv, not a hummer. Forgot you have both, CAMO rofl

papakb

Home Defect sells 4 x 8 foot sheets of a plastic cardboard called coroplast that's rigid enough for this application and won't rot or mildew if it gets wet. I've used it under my 151 top for years to keep the water from puddling there. It runs about $20 a sheet. It's the same stuff they make political candidates lawn signs out of.

Last edited:

92'M998

Home Defect sells 4 x 8 foot sheets of a plastic cardboard called coroplast that's rigid enough for this application and won't rot or mildew if it gets wet. I've used it under my 151 top for years to keep the water from puddling there. It runs about $20 a sheet. It's the same stuff they make political candidates lawn signs out of.

Will definitely check that material out. I know the type of signs that are made from it.
Thanks. J

fpchief

Now that's funny right there!!!!!!!

Milcommoguy

Supporting Vendor
Wait a couple of weeks and there will be lots of plastic political signs available for free. I see one across the street right now, but don't have a softtop.

With some duct tape... one could build a whole cab enclosure on the cheap.

Take your pick, red or blue, CAMO

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks