• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

lots of smoke out driver side exhaust on startup

84cucv1ton

good morning. Just realizes the other day. Truck starts pretty good. Glow plugs are about a year and a half old. Injection pump has three or 4000 miles on it. Injectors have maybe 1000 miles on them. Passenger-side exhaust has just about no smoke. Any ideas? Thanks

JVK12280

I had the same thing happening, when i checked it out a glow plug wire had wiggled off rear glow plug drivers side.fixed connector and plugged it back in, no more white smoke cold.

Keith_J

The connectors are the weak point of the system. They are brass or some other copper alloy and eventually lose their tension. Dirt can enter, causing higher resistance which causes heat and starts the vicious cycle.

The blocks can be taken off the connectors with a small awl, then the dirt can be positively removed. Restore the clamping tension by carefully bending the connector, then reassemble.

MT4222

I use ac60 glow plugs. I have a manual glowplug switch and i cycle them twice for ten seconds each with a 5 second break in between.

Hasdrubal

I've used AC60's with great success for 8 years, on my second set. With the AC60's you can burn them for a full 20 seconds, withought the 5 second delay. Thats when they reach their maximum temperature of 1851 degrees centigrade. Though I find 17 seconds is enough on the coldest days. I do use a shorter time with a 5-10 second delay between burns during the afterglow cycle. I think the old school plugs (AC13,11,9 etc..) were the ones which would swell easily so thats where the pause between cycles would be warranted. Here's the temp charts for your perusal.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks