• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Loud bang while reversing

G-Longo

Good evening gents, had a concern and was wondering if I could get some feedback.

While putting my deuce in reverse, I feel and hear a bang / clank every couple feet while reversing coming from under the truck. Feels like something is getting caught and stops the truck a bit until being forced free due to giving gas to reverse and causing a bang. The process repeats itself as long as I’m reversing. The first time this happened, it was pretty loud like a misfire and shook the truck a bit. This evening it was more subtle, but still bang / clank while reversing every few feet.

I thought maybe the parking brake was engaging or stuck in engaged, but was free while in reverse. Could I be having a transmission problem coming along?

Thanks for your time and input!

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Put the transfer case in neutral and see if you have any abnormal noise in the transmission if you don't. Drop the driveshaft at the back of the transfer case. Put it in gear and see if there is a noise

If NO remove all 4 rear axle shafts and spin your rear yoke on the back differential and see which diff is binding.

G-Longo

Gotcha! Thank you guys for all the feedback!! Definitely appreciate y’all giving me a starting point! Going to hit all these hot spots and try to get to the bottom of this concern. Thank you again gents!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ldmack3

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I had a similar issue. My A2 sat for several months while working on it. I would start and run it to keep the batteries charged but did not move it for some time. When I did, just to reposition it, It moved forward easily but backing up seemed like something was stuck even though it was slightly down hill. After letting the clutch out more than going forward, the engine would labor slightly, suddenly a bang and the it was free. This happened several times after sitting. Then when i started moving it more and more as maintenance finished that issue went away and never came back. I "felt like" it was the parking brake hanging up but never determined what was the issue. Now its sitting again for maintenance, we'll see what happens. All springs are intact and all is properly lubed.

Reactions: HDN

G-Longo

I had a similar issue. My A2 sat for several months while working on it. I would start and run it to keep the batteries charged but did not move it for some time. When I did, just to reposition it, It moved forward easily but backing up seemed like something was stuck even though it was slightly down hill. After letting the clutch out more than going forward, the engine would labor slightly, suddenly a bang and the it was free. This happened several times after sitting. Then when i started moving it more and more as maintenance finished that issue went away and never came back. I "felt like" it was the parking brake hanging up but never determined what was the issue. Now its sitting again for maintenance, we'll see what happens. All springs are intact and all is properly lubed.
Yes sir that describes what’s currently happening to my truck, going to start with the parking brake drum assembly. If not, I’ll continue on with Simp’s recommendation of removing the rear axles. Thank you sir!

Reactions: HDN

ldmack3

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes sir that describes what’s currently happening to my truck, going to start with the parking brake drum assembly. If not, I’ll continue on with Simp’s recommendation of removing the rear axles. Thank you sir!
Do you drive it regular? Once I started moving mine it cleared up.

G-Longo

Not like I used to, but now that you mention regularly, I use to drive it a lot more and gave it a break for a few weeks for maintenance and that’s when the bang happened was the next time I drove it. Yesterday the bang was a whole lot quieter and there wasn’t much of a resistance feeling as the first time. Wish there were more hours in a day to really tackle everything I want to.

ldmack3

Steel Soldiers Supporter
No kidding on the hours and I'm retired!
Another thing I did was to get it rolling back and apply the parking brake. Did this several times.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks