• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Loud Grinding Noise

Swervin

I get a loud grinding noise when I let the clutch out, It gets quieter if I put the transfer case and transmission in neutral and let out on the clutch. The noise stops as long as the clutch is in. I'm pretty new to having a deuce, and I was wondering if this is a transfer case problem, or something else?

devilman96

Bad throw out bearing, possiable pilot bearing also if its really rattling... Could be from poor adjustment, old age, water, etc or you could have a finger comming loose on a 4 finger clutch... You'll prolly never know till you yank it.

Swap the whole thing out with a new style 3 finger clutch assy and you will never see the insides of it a second time.

Swervin

Would "M49 Clutch,& Pressure Plate" at http://www.saturnsurplus.com/m35/m35-2.htm be the correct parts? And would I be likely to need a new clutch disc too?

ETA: Both of these bearings are part of the clutch assembly, right? And so it'd be just as easy to change the whole clutch out as to do just the bearings. . .I'm just trying to figure all this out, a lot of this is new stuff for me. :oops:

lstmate

Topic heading

OKjust to warn you this is my attempt at a joke for today.

When I read the topic for this thread my first thought was to be a smart a** and say that is what the clutch is for. Push it in when you shift gears.

Sorry could not help myself this morning.

Oh and I would agree....bad throw out bearing... In my unlearned opinion and also due to my black cloud of luck that follows me, if I had to replace a throw out bearing I would also replace clutch while I had it tore down cause my luck says it would go out the next week if I only replaced the bearing.... just my 2cents .

But then I am probably the only one that has luck like that.....

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
RE: Topic heading

when you let the clutch out the throw out bearing stops turning, if properly adjusted, as does the pilot brng. how in the world could it be a throw out bearing? bad transmission...................

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Re: RE: Topic heading

m-35tom said:
when you let the clutch out the throw out bearing stops turning, if properly adjusted, as does the pilot brng. how in the world could it be a throw out bearing? bad transmission...................
:ditto:

devilman96

RE: Re: RE: Topic heading

I did say poor adjustment... Also if you get a finger coming loose, bent, or otherwise screwy even though the "throw" feels adjusted correctly it isn't.

Loose or bad pilot bearings and TO bearings make a snot load of noise when the pressure is taken off of them from rattling...

But then I am probably the only one that has luck like that.....
How's this for Karma... I replaced my clutch... main seal... TO bearing... and pilot... to do it all over again 1200 miles later, plus the input shaft and input shaft bearing which were trashed by everything comming apart... IMHO Don't rebuild clutch packs, and don't buy NOS seals...

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
RE: Re: RE: Topic heading

right, NEVER buy nos seals, they are worthless. 1200 miles is kinda bad life, but i cannot get more than 500 from a radiator and it was new.

Swervin

emmado22 said:
What makes you think it had a winch?
The paint's a little different around where the front bumper is attached. The dataplate in the cab also says "w/w" at the end, I assumed that meant with winch but I don't know.

Goatwerks

Being the tranny guru of 30 years, I would suggest you check the following items to determine if it is a transmission or release bearing noise.
1, check clutch release bearing, from the description it is not the pilot bearing(would only make noise in gear with clutch released).
2, check trans input and lower gear cluster bearings(spin input shaft with trans removed in each gear).
Thats my 2cents

hof3414

My truck is having similar problems, except I have a grinding noise with clutch in or out (wrose when i push it in) and also while i'm driving through the gears. It actually got so loud i stopped driving it and had it towed home. Did a few tests 1. disconnected transfer case and fired it up still had the noise 2. dropped tranmission last night fired it up noise gone. The throw out bearing definitely seems shot. The input shaft on transmission spins smooth, seems to have sliht wobble but from what I've read it is pretty normal. Any ideas if the throw out bearing would make all the noise (I' m pretty sure it is supposed to be disengaged when driving but not sure if it was) or is there something else I should be looking for?

Any input welcome.

SMOKEWAGON66

Having just pulled my transmission and replaced some things...id say get a new clutch disk, pressure plate, throw out bearing, rear main seal for the motor, new input shaft bearing and a gasket set. Its a chore to drop the transmission out so if you have it out, might as well change everything that can be changed so you dont have to do it again 2cents

hof3414

I didn't look real close last night, but can you see the input shaft bearing without digging to deep?

I actually thought it may be the easiest transmission ever to drop. I absolutely love not having to jack up a vehicle to work on it. I was initially going to do everything while it was out but at this point I just want it running again, its going to be getting cold out and I have to many projects to list. At least if I can make it driveable again I can, at a later date, replace everything as I am also going to be switching out my trasnfer case from sprague to air shift.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks