• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Loud metallic rattling just before air pressure release?

JamesH

So I noticed that the engine (8.3 Cummins) or air pump, not sure which, gets really loud like out of adjustment lifters as the air pump reaches max pressure and the relief valve opens. Gets nice and quiet for a few minutes then starts to rattle again, maybe a minute before the pressure relief valve dumps air. Is this normal?

Ford Mechanic

Mine gets louder also above 100 psi. Almost sounds like the compressor has a rod knock. I happen to have other trucks (not MV's) around that have the 8.3L and they all have similar, increasing noise levels over 100 psi from the compressor. The odometer range from 140k trash trucks that run 6hrs X 5 days a week, to bucket trucks with less that 20k (lots of stationary run time). I belive it to be normal. I've had mine for 2 yrs, it has 18k on it and I've put about 2k on it. I noticed it the day I bought it and actually used it against the truck during negotiations. It hasn't changed a bit.

Last edited:

dawico

I can always tell when my compressor is pumping because of the slight knock it makes. Mine goes on and off frequently because my compressor is leaking (for now).

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks