• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

LOUD Pop immediately followed by sputtering till it died

tah081

Im assuming i probably blew the head gasket…. i recently bought this truck and was just trying to move it to a new location about 30-40 miles away…. 10 min in to the drive it started losing power… i was told it did this before… i was also told to let it sit for 5 to 10 min and start moving again… it worked a few times but started getting worse and worse as we went on… finally about half way to our destination i head a loud pop then it sputtered to a halt... it shot a cloud of smoke out of the slobber tube as it sputtered to a halt as well… anyone ever blow one to tell me if this sounds about right for a blown head gasket… also if anyone knows where to easily find the head gaskets for a reasonable price please let me know, if this is the problem… as soon as a get a chance to breathe i will start pulling it apart to see what the damages are

Thanks Kyle

Vintage iron

Oh Man! That doesn't sound good. Check your fluids first! Oil in the coolant, coolant in the oil, metal in the oil, coolant seeping out of the head on the outside of the motor, check your air cleaner, intake hoses and fuel inlines too. Going to need more info. Let me know what you find.

tah081

havent had a chance to really look but if it blew so sudden like that i dont think i would see water in the oil yet… not to mention it may have only blew into an oil galley and not in to a water galley… this would make since as to why all the smoke came out of the slobber tube

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Do all the gauges work? Like oil/water?

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
was the temp going up, you can drive quite a bit on a blown head gasket, this is a bit more then a head gasket, does the motor turn over, what does your fuel filters look like, does the intank pump work, what kind of pop, metal breaking, a pressure pop,

tah081

all of the gauges work minus the fuel lol… it sounded like a pressure pop and i havent had a chance to look at anything yet…. the temp was staying around 180-200

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Sorry I didn't have more time to help when you called, it was a crane and genny weekend. If its any consolation, I didn't get any of them done.

Jesse6325

Where are you at Tah? I am about 130 miles away (little town close to Corpus Christi)
Did you get it home?
maybe I could take a look at it Easter weekend for you.

tah081

I have it at my grandparents place out in bulverde kinda sorta… there place is really reall close to smithson valley high school…. the only day i have off is easter =/ and yeah i ended up pulling it there with my dodge 2500… it did it with out breakin a sweat lol and thank goodness the pressure held up ok for the brakes

dmetalmiki

What was the condition of the fuel in the tank? was it (in fact) deisel even?
Check the TIMING if something moved out of timing you would have got a bang of sorts and rough running. ANY water in the fuel?.

Just some points to check before that major strip down..(before which you (will!? do a compression check.))
Hope it's not too major..elliminate all else, Keep us informed and murphy off your shoulder.