• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Loud rapid clicking when trying to start.

wisconsinz

I've combed the hard starting cucv threads, but I couldn't find any mention of this sound I'm hearing when cranking over my M1009. It's always been hard to start in the cold (even after new glowplugs), but now when I turn it over it makes a sort of machine gun type sound. Sounds like its coming from right behind gauges or on my side of the firewall. Ive done the doghead mod and just had the batteries charged and tested. Only time it started recently was when I jumped it with two other vehicles. Started up fine after it was running for a bit, but then it happened again the next morning. Any ideas? thanks.

FMJ

In Memorial
In Memorial
Sorry, I re-read your first post, it sounds like its the glow plug relay on the firewall chattering. Your glow plug control circuit may be malfunctioning. do you get the wait to start light with the key in the run position? and after 5-10 seconds it turns off?

Could it be that one of your relays (starter, glow plug, or other) is going nuts? Maybe your glow plug controller is going wacky. No matter what, it sure sounds like an interesting problem and I wish you luck.

FMJ

In Memorial
In Memorial
Well if it stops turning over, it's a voltage, or connection issue to the starter. on the passenger side firewall take the covers off the terminal boards where the battery cables connect and make sure all the connections are tight.

wisconsinz

It taking more than 10 seconds for the wait light to come off. Then instead of hearing the relay turn off quickly (i think that's what makes that sound?) it makes a lonnnng drawn out noise. Ever witnessed that?