• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Low air buzzer bother you?

acetomatoco

It should not bother you, because you can go do you walkaround and check the 10 tires for pressure by banging on them.. you can check for leaks of various fluids, you can see if your reflectors are dirty and that all your lights are working and your e brake and so forth and so on.. holy moly...If you do not like it, pull the one wire and put in a red lite like the mwo which came in the 80s..

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Re: RE: Low air buzzer bother you?

acetomatoco said:
....If you do not like it, pull the one wire and put in a red lite like the mwo which came in the 80s..
Why did they authorize the red light anyway, impossible to see on a sunny day with the top off? Maybe the buzzer was a little to overbearing? :wink:

FreightTrain

Banned
RE: Re: RE: Low air buzzer bother you?

well,the redlight was to be installed along with the buzzer.The kit comes with a T spittler to hook up with the buzzer as a back up alert in case the buzzer dies.

it's supposed to be annoying

It's intentionally loud so your NCO or supervisor knows when you are operating your truck outside of safe limits. If I saw a truck moving and heard the buzzer, I knew that driver needed some "positive reinforcement of previous training goals".

If I found a buzzer inop (unplugged or otherwise) that truck wasn't supposed to move until it was fixed. It's loud and annoying so you'll notice it over the road noise if you lose pressure while driving.

oldshep

RE: it

I got the low air warning light from Saturn a week ago. Ill probably install it in the next 2 days once i get my new front wirering harness in. The buzzer was too dern' annoying!

jimk

In Memorial
In Memorial

Commercial big rig(CDL)trucks are required to have low air buzzers. Level II and III inspections (NYSDOT roadside...)do check it. Private use vehicles -may- not be required. I use a simple toggle switch to shut it off and use it during startup. The oil pressure gauge 'event' seems more 'enjoyable' without it. JimK

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter

Odd! Since repowering my M108 it has not had a complete wiring harness installed. I was waiting for the cab change. In the interim, I rigged a temproary harness so I can use the crane around the yard. One of the first things I hooked up was the low air buzzer. Like Ross said, I use that time to do a walk around on the truck and make sure it's ready for duty.

jimk

In Memorial
In Memorial

Perhaps a potentiometer(rheostat) would provide some volume control(?).
Control is nice when doing service or for moving about the yard/garage. JimK

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter

FWIW, once you get the truck lit, you can always shut off the accessory power switch until it gets up to 60 PSI.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter

The buzzer is supposed to be a warning and is just fine for a failure during operation of the vehicle, kind of scares the heck out of you, though when it happens, been there done that kind of thing. Worked in the woods and backed into a tree stump, which tore the emergency glad hand plumbing. The buzzer scares the heck out of you. Mine has been a sensible beep, beep, beep ever since.
There are many many times when one doesn't need to do the "walk around" when working around the yard without lights etc.

Most people seem to judge the poor buzzer during start up and some vehicles (M656/XM757) actually come with a disable switch for the times when you have to sit in the cab and wait, working on something or whatever.

IMHO, if a phsycological study was done, a continous intense noise (the buzzer) could much more easily disrupt your train of thought compared to an intermittent sound.

Another thing, using a lamp to back up a buzzer in case of failure is not a good idea since the buzzer has a much much lower failure rate than the lamp. There must have been another reason. You can't see the lamp in direct sun light anyway, just look at your turn signal light and think about all the times you have left it on.

Bjorn, over and out

alphadeltaromeo

I like the buzzer...it's music to my ears and helps to reinforce the whole vehicle check each time I operate the deuce. Mine will stay, but I have enjoyed reading the various options folk are looking at...and why.

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Re: RE: it

Recovry4x4 said:
FWIW, once you get the truck lit, you can always shut off the accessory power switch until it gets up to 60 PSI.
That's all I do. I can hear the oil pressure come up, the engine gets quiet!

ke6kze

Hello Group,
I use a latching relay to control the Low Air Buzzer. When the buzzer goes off, I push the button to latch the relay. When air pressure is up, battery is removed from the relay. This releases the relay, reseting the buzzer .
The buzzer will sound the next time there is low air pressure. The relay and push button switch fit into a small box located under the dash by the transfer case air switch. I have also installed the dash mounted low air lamp. Drawing attached.

Attachments

nf6x

Feral Engineer
I like the buzzer cut-off button with latching relay. It lets you kill the buzzer on start-up, without risk of forgetting to turn it back on before driving. I would wire the low air light to stay on when I kill the buzzer.

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hi Frank! Welcome to Steel Soldiers. How'd you like Irwindale?

FreightTrain

Banned
I keep watching this and wonder why anyone would want to bypass SAFETY GEAR!it is there for a reason.What happens if the made in Tiawan Civy stuff fails and doesn't allow the buzzer to turn on one time?Your gonna end up on top of someones car with them still in side!In a properly maintained vehicle you should hear the buzzer but for about 30 seconds to a minute after first start up.Yea,it is annoying and loud but guess what....IT IS SUPOSED TO BE!IT IS A FAILURE ALARM!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks