• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

low budget upgrades and tuning help

deepseeman

So I have skimmed the forums and wasnt able to really find what I was looking for. So I have a few questions;

I was wondering if there were any modifications I could do myself. A guy approached me the other day and was saying something about fuel injection pump tuning(hex nut?) and other garb that was completely foreign to me.

I flipped my air filter housing lid and that sure did make it run noisier. is there a K &n that has the lid filter too?

any recommended upgrades for a daily driver?

i appreciate any input.

beanman1

hey man u can turn up the injection pump put a glass packs or straight pipe exhaust and a free flow air filter in it thats what i did i also cut another hole in the breather cover to alow for more airflow but with the k&n filter it is going to be noisy

Warren Lovell

Hey Deep Sea Man
I'm in Pacific Beach. We should get a cuppa joe and talk Blazers. I'm in the same situation, wanting to do mods, but nothing too radical. Mainly creating a vehicle my girlfriend won't complain about. She's pretty good with my stuff so far.

I've put sound deadener and carpet in which made a huge difference with the noise, replaced the dash and door panels, and am in the process of prepping it for paint.

Warren

ralbelt

I would do the "doghead starter relay mod" as a preventive maintenance item. I also installed a new intake from gimprobb, seems to have a little better performance.

gunit

avoid the k&n and buy synthetic oil. seen dirt in carbs and intakes in offroad trucks and atv's, after that i took mine off and gave it away, paper filters only, how about an electic cooling fan, they are cheap in the junk yard, get a big fan and a temp switch. home made ram air or cowl induction. long tube headers with a free flowing quiet exhaust, and add on lights, all cheap and easy to install

ODdave

if you want to do a engine mod, get marine nozles for your injectors, diesel care & performance has them cheep on ebay then find a reputable diesel shop to install and BALANCE the injectors, gives you a smooter running engine and more power (you can r&r the injectors yourself to save $ but have the nozles profesionaly installed)

CUCV85

hmmm the m1028's have the dual wheels right?...wish my m1031 contact maint truck had em...
not the m1028, only the 1028a2 and 1028a3
my family has a bunch of the M1028's (shelter carrier trucks)
they are a m1008 with more leaf springs.
They also have the 208 aluminum transfer case, you have the 205 with cast iron make with a PTO shaft.
So bolt a pair on. Make a fender extender or get one from junk yard?

There's got to be a dual tire kit that will go on them.
Is your truck so heavily loaded that you NEED duals?
I myself would invest in some
Load Range E
BFG AT KO
Little taller and Wider for stability.
I run 33 12.50 15 on the stock 15x8 rims on my M1009
I ran 285 75 16 BFG AT KO's load range E on 2 of my Dodge Ram 24 valves,
awesome tires Excellent Traction and they are not loud running.
If your off road a lot servicing say farm equipment the
BFG Mud Terrains are the BEST but I don't think they come in load range E
You would NEED load range E 10 Ply tires If you are very Heavily loaded!
2cents

Last edited:

deepseeman

ok, so how do I tune the fuel injector pump? what size exhaust should I run? I guess I will flip my air fi;ter housing cap back over and drill some holes in it. I would like to hear myself think one of these days.

jimmy-90

In responce to deepseeman. I think this will help with what you are looking to do. Go to the banks turbo website. Then go to the GM/CHEVY sidewinder turbo section. there will be 5 tabs there that you can click on in the middle of the screen. Click on DOWNLOADS. Then click on either owners manuel. Around figure 19-20 it tells you how to turn your fuel adjustment screw up higher. (That is the allen screw the guy was telling you about.) GOTTA CAUTION YOU THOUGH. Don't turn it up a whole 1/4 of a turn like the manuel says though. Doing that without a turbo WILL damage your motor in a big way. If you put a better intake and straight through mufflers on your truck you can possibly turn it up 1/8th of a turn but DO IT AT YOUR OWN RISK!!! A good piece of advice is to install a pyrometer before you mess with that screw. As for other simple performance upgrades here's some pics of mine. For the whole write-up I did on the intake type cucv ram-air into the search function or click on my avatar and find it in my threads started section. Enjoy.

jimmy-90

Another inexpensive mod worth mentioning would be to port and polish your manifold. It's a decent amount of work but it only costs as much as a set of manifold gaskets. That is if you have an air or moto tool to do it with. I would recomend doing that if you are posibly going to turn your injector pump up a hare. Either way that will make it run a little bit better since some of the old chevy 6.2 manifolds are off by a good bit sometimes lol.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks