• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

low coolant light on and off

cobia2017

For a couple of weeks now, my low coolant light comes on, then goes off, comes back on, goes off and repeat each time I drive my M1008. Initially, the light was just on and the coolant was indeed low and below the sensor on the radiator. (The radiator has a slow leak and requires adding of coolant periodically) However, with filling the coolant back to proper level, now I get this on/off light situation as described. Its really annoying. I did change the sensor to a new one from Napa and to no avail. The connection to the receiving wire cap is tight and I did clean up the connections as per the suggestion of a previous thread on this issue. The light will stay on for say 5 minutes and then go off for maybe 10 minutes only to come back on again and as I said repeat this cycle. I am not able to relate this to any particular speed or rpm, it just seems sorta random. What am I missing? Any thoughts are appreciated.

Barrman

The -20 TM on page 2-69 says to unplug at the sensor with the key on and to ground it. If the light goes out then the sensor is bad.

If the light doesn’t go out then you are supposed to remove the low coolant module near the fuse panel. If the light goes out then replace the module. If it doesn’t go out then check your wires because there is a bad wire somewhere.

cucvrus

I would remove the wire at the radiator low coolant sensor and crimp the connection lightly. It may be a bit loose and making intermittent contact with the switch. that is after you visually check and make sure the coolant is full. Good Luck.
1668683927485.png #16. This sensor is readily available.

Last edited:

cagosti

If you need a module I may have a spare one cleaned up with new cap-zaperters installed. That cured my on and off low coolant lite issue
charles

cucvrus

Is the radiator aftermarket? They don't work well with the low coolant sensors.
Why wouldn't they? The wet coolant makes contact with the sensor, completes the circuit and the light goes out. What am I missing here? Stop the fear of everything that is aftermarket is taboo. At this point in the game if aftermarket parts were not available most of the CUCV's would be here.
1668771171638.png

87cr250r

It was a few years back, I don't remember exactly what the problem was. The aftermarket brass radiator pooled water at the sensor so it wouldn't come on if water was low if I remember correctly. Or maybe it was the opposite. Oh well, that radiator rotted out after 2 years of California weather. I put up with that hunk of junk for way too long because I thought the aluminum would have been even worse.

Not trying to say everything is taboo, just trying to save members the mistake of buying the "premium" aftermarket radiators. Aluminum with plastic tanks is the best choice at the moment.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks